The Undergraduate Graduation Process
Meet with Your Advisor
You are encouraged to meet with your advisor at least two semesters
before graduation. At this meeting, a Degree Evaluation will be processed
in the Banner system in addition to you and your advisor completing the
senior summary form.
The Senior Summary
The purpose of the Senior Summary is to provide a record of remaining
requirements for graduation and to eliminate last minute errors. The
catalog you are following will be used to determine the requirements for
After reviewing your degree evaluation and senior summary form, you will
sign the form along with your advisor. A signed form may be sent to your
academic department for review. The forms will be sent to the Graduation
Services Office in the Office of the Registrar. The official review of the
senior summary will be processed by the Graduation Services office. If
there is an error or omission, the student and advisor will be notified.
Questions can be referred to the Graduation Services office at
The final responsibility for meeting all academic requirements for the
degree rests with the student.
1. Foundations Curriculum Requirements for all graduating students include:
- English: A minimum of 12 hours of Writing Intensive (WI) classes must be completed including ENGL 1100, ENGL 1200, 3 credits in the major and 3 additional WI hours of the student’s choice.
- Culturally Diverse (CD): At least one 3 credit course designated culturally diverse.
- Social Sciences: At least 12 hours of Social Sciences from at least 3 areas are required.
- Natural Sciences: At least 8 semester hours including a science lab.
- Math: At least 3 semester hours of math.
- Humanities and Fine Arts: At least 10 semester hours including at least one Humanities course and one Fine Arts course.
- Health and Exercise Sports Science: At least one course in both subject areas.
2. The minimum GPA for the designated major must be maintained in addition, at least a 2.0 overall grade point average on all ECU coursework.
3. Check your catalog for the minimum number of semester hours that must be earned with at least one-half required of the hours earned at a senior college (4 year institution). A minimum of 30 semester hours must be earned at East Carolina University, and at least one-half of the hours required in the major must be earned at ECU.
4. 6000 level courses are graduate courses only and cannot be used as undergraduate electives and cannot be applied to an undergraduate degree.
5. Approval to take a course(s) off campus, including East Carolina University extension courses, must be obtained by the
academic department and the Academic Services Office, 100 Whichard Building.
6. It is the student’s responsibility to see that all transcripts are on file in the Office of the Registrar prior to the end of the semester he/she expects to graduate.
7. A student planning to take re-examination or a course by examination should notify the Office of the Registrar immediately.
The Graduation Application and Commencement
Application for Graduation can be completed at the time of the senior summary or at the Graduation Services Office. This should
be done two semesters before completion of the degree. All graduation applications should be returned to the Graduation Services office, located in Whichard 108.
Visit OneStop to reserve your seat for graduation and be sure to check the
Commencement website for important announcements: