Thomas Harriot College of Arts & Sciences

Department of Psychology

Doctoral Concentration in
Pediatric School Psychology

FAQs about Pediatric School Psychology

1. Is Pediatric School Psychology an accredited program?

We are accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA) as a school psychology doctoral program. The APA Commission on Accreditation scheduled our next site visit to be held in 2021. For more information on APA accreditation visit their website here. The APA Office of Program Consultation and Accreditation is located at the following address:  APA Office of Program Consultation and Accreditation, 750 First Street NE, Washington, DC  20002-4242   PH: 202-336-59792. 

2. Who can I contact if I have more questions about this program? 

Ms. Rachel Baker, Graduate Administrative Assistant (see info below) or Dr. Christy Walcott, Program Director (see info below).

3. What are the areas of study in the Health Psychology Ph.D. program at ECU? 

There are three distinct concentrations of our Health Psych Ph.D. Program at ECU that have separate core faculty, admissions, and program directors. These are:

  • Clinical Health Psychology
  • Occupational Health Psychology
  • Pediatric School Psychology

4. What is the application deadline?

December 1st

5. When can I begin the program? 

The program begins in Fall semesters only (August). New students are not admitted at any other time of the year. 

6. Can other courses transfer from other graduate programs? 

It is possible to transfer some required credit hours from an another graduate institution. However, transfer course requests are considered by the program on a case-by-case basis.

7. Do I need a mentor for the program?

The program is based on a mentorship model. Applicants who share research interests with our faculty members will be assigned to those faculty for advising. Please visit our faculty listing to view their research areas. 

8. I don’t have any research experience. Can I still apply to your program? 

Yes, but it is very hard for the admissions committee to assess an applicant’s ability to work in a scientific/practitioner oriented program if you don’t have some basic experiences with psychology research (or a related field). You would need to address this issue thoroughly in your application.

9. How long will it take to earn a Ph.D. if I already have a Master’s or Specialist degree in psychology?

Students with an MA or MS in Psychology will require a minimum of 3 additional years to complete their Ph.D. However, it may take longer depending on the specialization of the master’s degree, adequacy of transfer courses, and other factors.

10. Do I have to have a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology to apply to the Ph.D. program? 

You must have a BA or BS in a related field. Psychology is preferred but not required.

11. Is there funding for doctoral students?

Yes, all students earn a monthly stipend for 9 months of work as a graduate assistant. We also offer tuition waivers and health insurance coverage. The University fees, however, are the responsibility of the student.


Program Director

Christy M. Walcott, Ph.D., NCSP
Associate Professor
Program Director, MA/CAS School Psychology
Program Director, Pediatric School Psychology

NC Licensed Psychologist, HSP-P

Department of Psychology
Mail Stop 565
East Carolina Univeristy
Greenville, NC 27858
Phone: 252-328-1378

For Additional Information Contact:

Ms. Rachel Baker
Graduate Administrative Assistant

Department of Psychology
Mail Stop 565
East Carolina University
Greenville, NC 27858
Phone: 252-328-1368