Thomas Harriot College of Arts & Sciences
Department of Psychology
Research Activity Requirement
Psychology is rooted in the research findings of psychological scientists from around the world. Because of the centrality and importance of research to understanding psychology as a science, all students enrolled in face-to-face sections of PSYC 1000 or PSYC 1060 are required to experience the research process first-hand, as a participant and/or consumer of research. This opportunity is designed to:
For all students enrolled in face-to-face sections of PSYC 1000 or PSYC 1060, 5% of your final grade is based on your completing 5 credits worth of research-related activities. That is, 5% of your total course points will result from research activities and the remaining 95% from the regular exams, quizzes, and other assignments/activities documented in your course syllabus.
Some instructors have an all or nothing policy with respect to research activity credits – that is, if you do not earn all 5 of the required credits, then you get zero points from research activities. Other instructors will give you course points in proportion to the number of credits you have earned, up to 5% of the total course points. Check your syllabus to determine the method your instructor employs. Regardless, to fulfill this requirement, you must earn these credits by the deadlines noted below.
Please note that you are required to complete 50% of the five-credit requirement (i.e., 2.5 credits) by the midpoint of the semester. If you only complete 1.0 credit before the midpoint the maximum amount of credits you can be awarded at the end of the semester is 3.5; however, you may complete more than 2.5 prior to the mid-semester point (e.g., you can earn all 5 of the required credits during the first two weeks of class).
This deadline is in place to encourage students not to wait until the end of the semester to try to earn all research credits. If students wait until the end of the semester to earn credits, there will not be enough opportunities to do so. We strongly recommend you attempt to earn research credits across the semester through completing a variety of options (participating in research studies, taking quizzes for research articles you read, taking quizzes for research studies in which you participated).
Students under the age of 18 may not be eligible to participate in many experiments. Subsequently, these students may read research articles (Option #3) and write a summary to earn credit. Each passing article is worth .5 credits.
Click here for some answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
Create an account at ecu.sona-systems.com:
Earn credits. You can earn credits by doing the following:
Additional Information About Earning Credits
Each hour of participation is worth 1 credit, 45-minutes of participation is worth .75 credit, 30 minutes of participation is worth .50 credit, and 15 minutes of participation is worth .25 credit.
Option #1: Participating In Research Studies & Similar Activities
Option #2: Reading Research Articles and Taking a Quiz
Option #3: Reading Research Articles and Writing a Paper
If the above steps are not completed by the indicated deadline then your final grade in PSYC 1000/1060 will drop by up to 5%.
Need more help? Just send us an email: email@example.com
1. Berghuis et al. (2002)
2. Carr et al. (2002)
3. Floyd et al. (2001)
4. Murphey (2002)
5. Conway et al. (2001)
6. Crowley et al. (2001)
7. Knowlton et al. (1993)
8. Roediger et al. (2006)
9. Teng at al. (1999)
10. Adolph (2000)
11. Asher et al. (1984)
12. DeLoache et al. (1997)
13. Lewis et al. (1989)
14. Cohen (2003)
15. Domar et al. (2000)
16. Fredrickson & Joiner (2002)
17. Everhart et al. (2003)
18. Everhart et al. (2004)
19. Brown & Smiley (1977)
20. Chafouleas et al. (2006)
21. Riley-Tillman & Chafouleas (2003)
22. Blair et al. (2005)
23. Cope & Allred (1991)
24. Morgeson (2004)