Study Abroad in India and Nepal 2017:
Exploring Sacred Spaces
May 18 - June 14, 2017
Dr. Derek Maher, associate professor of Religious Studies, will lead this program for the 12th year in a row. Students will earn 6 semester hours of RELI 2500, and graduate credit is also possible. The program fee includes tuition, visa, application fee, hotels, intercity transportation within India and Nepal, tours, guides, entry fees, musical performances, health insurance, and some group meals. The course provides Foundations Curriculum: Humanities credit.
The 28-day program will include visits to Delhi, Agra, Varanasi, Bodhgaya, and a range of smaller sacred sites in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar in India. In addition, students will visit Buddhist sites in Nepal. The heart of the program will be a research project through which collaborative teams of student researchers investigate and document particular Buddhist holy sites. Students will learn research methods in the discipline of Religious Studies, and during the spring semester develop a research plan to be executed during the time in India.
The itinerary also includes visits to the Taj Mahal, Mughal Forts, the Ganges River, and hikes in natural landscapes. India is an exciting and diverse country, with hundreds of languages, incredible foods, great art and architecture, a rich and fascinating culture, and a complex religious atmosphere that is home to all major religions.
Space is strictly limited. Admission preference will be given to those who enroll in Buddhism (RELI 2692) in the spring 2017 semester.
- Total Cost: $4,800
- ECU program costs: $3350
- Airline ticket: Approximately $1,150
- Personal expenses approximately $300
- $75 application fee due with application
- $200 deposit due on January 31, 2017
- 50% of cost due February 28, 2017
- Balance due March 31, 2017
Space is strictly limited.
Applications are being accepted.
Scholarships are available.
For application, please contact:
Dr. Derek Maher
Links to previous program blogs and other information.
- 2015 Summer Study Abroad Live Blog
- 2014 Summer Study Abroad Live Blog
- 2013 Summer Study Abroad Live Blog
- 2012 Summer Study Abroad Live Blog
- 2011 Summer Study Abroad Live Blog
- 2010 Summer Study Abroad Live Blog
- ECU Field Journal: Summer Study Abroad
- Click here for our 2009 blog
- Click here for our 2008 blog
- Click here for our 2007 blog
- Click here for our 2006 blog
- ECU "Pieces of Eight" article May 12, 2006
- Click here for photos from the 2006 program
- Click here for an example of Indian music (Quicktime, 1.7 MB)