Non-Thesis Community College Teaching Option (36 Credits)
The Non-Thesis Community College Teaching Option is for students intent on pursuing a career in higher education as a community college faculty member. Graduates from this track have secured full-time positions throughout North Carolina’s Community College system. The requirements for this track are identical to the Community College Teaching Practicum Option EXCEPT: 12 course credits are substituted for the Practicum. The requirements for this track are as follows:
Course Number and Title:
1. SOCI 6459-Modern Sociological Theory 3 credit hours
2. SOCI 6488-Research Methods and Design 3 credit hours
3. SOCI 6212, 6213-Social Statistics 3 credit hours
4. SOCI 6312, 6313-Multivariate Techniques and Analysis 3 credit hours
5. Graduate Level Sociology Elective (5000 or above) 12 credit hours
6. Graduate Level Sociology or Other Elective (5000 or above) 12 credit hours
7. Teaching Mentorship **
8. Teach One Section of SOCI-2110-Introduction to Sociology***
9. SOCI 8000-Comprehensive Exam (Theory, Methods, Stats) ****
Total 36 credit hours
*- All courses taken outside of department must be approved by the Graduate Director. A
minimum of 12 elective credits must be taken in Sociology, and a maximum of 12 credits
maybe taken outside of the department. This requirement may be waived in special
circumstances, however students must have completed 18 course credits in Sociology, (not
including thesis), along with a Teaching Mentorship, if they wish to teach an undergraduate
course in the department.(Student Teaching is subject to approval of the Department of
Sociology’s Chair, Graduate Director, and Undergraduate Director, See Appendix J).
** Subject to Graduate Director Approval. See the discussion of the Practicum.
***Subject to approval of the Chair, Graduate Director, and Undergraduate Director.
**** Students do not enroll in this course, but fulfill this requirement after passing all three content area sections
The following is a typical class schedule for a student beginning in the Fall Semester 2014 under the Non-Thesis Community College Teaching Option:
* Subject to Graduate Director approval
** Subject to approval of the Chair, Graduate Director, and Undergraduate Director.
SOCI 6523-Readings in Sociology, may be substituted for up to a maximum of two electives (six credits), subject to approval of the Graduate Director. Independent studies outside the department are not acceptable as a substitute for grad electives.