Jazz ensembles (large) and jazz combo (chamber) performance groups are open to all university students by audition or consent of director. Existing jazz performance group opportunities in the School of Music include:
- ECU Jazz Ensemble (A), using traditional and contemporary "Big Band" instrumentation
- Tues/Thurs Jazz Band (Jazz Ensemble-(B), which serves as a performing lab band
- Contemporary Ensemble, chamber ensemble of 8 to 10 members focusing on Be-Bop and contemporary era jazz styles
- Jazz 'Bones, for trombones and rhythm section
- Directed combos, focusing on directed study with faculty and the application of specific performance practices including jazz repertoire.
Please refer to catalog for additional jazz course offerings and requirements.
Auditions for Section Chairs
Auditions will be held the first week of each semester. Audition music will be made available by the jazz faculty during the first week of each semester but not before. The auditioning student should demonstrate the ability to perform the prepared music focusing on jazz styles and characteristics. The student will also be required to sight-read. (No improvisation required for these chairs)
Auditions for Solo Jazz Chairs
Auditions will be held for each ensemble/combo at a later date to be determined by each ensemble director. (Please notify the Director of Jazz Studies of interest in a Solo Jazz Chair audition during the Section Chair audition.) (Improvisation required) - The auditioning student should demonstrate the ability to perform the head to selected jazz compositions. After performing the head, the student should demonstrate the ability to improvise over the preexisting standard and altered chord changes. All auditions should focus on jazz stylistic characteristics and must be performed from memory.
Prepare one composition in each category from the following lists:
instrumentalists || vocalists