OverviewWelcome to jazz studies at East Carolina University. Thank you for your interest in our program. You can participate in our program at many levels—earn a performance degree with a concentration in jazz, participate in one of our many jazz ensembles and combos, take private lessons, or enroll in one of many jazz courses focusing on jazz history, improvisation, composing/arranging, and more. Whatever you choose to do, make jazz a part of your life by enjoying one of our many performances throughout the year.
The course of study emphasizes diversity and versatility and is designed to give students the necessary foundation to compete for professional opportunities, (upon graduation) in jazz performance, jazz education in addition to professional opportunities in the business of music and music industry.
The mission of the East Carolina University School of Music Jazz Studies program is to provide a comprehensive experience in the study of jazz for jazz instrumental and vocal majors at the baccalaureate and masters levels.
Designed primarily for music majors, the ECU Jazz Studies Program also offers opportunities for the non-music major to perform in the various large and chamber ensembles.
Featured annual programs sponsored by the ECU Jazz Studies Program:
- Dr. Billy Taylor Spring Jazz Festival
- Annual Fall Combined ECU Jazz Ensembles Concert
- Individualized instruction with an outstanding jazz faculty
- Master classes, workshops, lectures and concerts by visiting jazz masters, recording artists and educators
- Travel and performance opportunities with award-winning and touring ensembles
- Jazz curriculum that includes the study of traditional, progressive and contemporary trends, styles and concepts
- Electronic, composition software technology-focused classes