Masters of Music in Music Education (Graduate Licensure)Welcome, and thank you for your interest in our online MM in Music Education degree, which leads to Graduate Licensure.
The 100% online Master of Music in Music Education program at ECU is for individuals who are interested in graduate music teacher education and is approved for the North Carolina graduate teacher license. Up to three s.h. of graduate credit may be allowed for National Board Certification at the request of the student and at the discretion of the department chair. Up to six s.h. of graduate credit may be transferred from other accredited graduate programs in music. Degree completion requires the presentation of a final graduate capstone project and a written examination. Details are specified online and in the School of Music Graduate Student Handbook. Click here to access the graduate catalog regarding the MM in Music Education.
Online courses are taught using the Blackboard course management system and Saba Meeting. Students entering the program must meet university technology guidelines for all computer equipment and Internet service as specified in the Graduate Handbook.
Entrance Requirements, Admission Information
Entrance into the degree program requires an undergraduate degree in music education (or equivalent) and a valid teaching license. Full degree admittance must be granted from the Graduate School and the School of Music at East Carolina University. Admission to the Graduate School requires a separate application.
As a part of the School of Music application , you must send a completed application and a portfolio that includes:
- 3 letters of reference
- Your philosophy of music education (minimum one page, double -spaced, Times Roman 12)
- Documentation of superior teaching (programs, videos, letters from parents, principals, etc.)
- Résumé or Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Copy of your teaching credential
- Other information that you deem important to help us make an informed decision as to whether you would be successful in our program
- Article critique. Download the article and guidelines below. Carefully read the guidelines and the article. This critique will be a sample of your most scholarly writing and will provide a current writing sample to evaluate.
Download Article Critique Guidelines
After a completed application and portfolio are received, students will be contacted regarding a Graduate Diagnostic Examination in Music Theory and History.
Tuition and Fee Information
Tuition and Fees rates are set according to the Division of Continuing Studies. Click here for more information.
For more information, contact:
Dr. Michelle Hairston