Announcing the winner of the 2015 Orchestra Composition Competition
Roydon Tse's Three Musings - a triptych for chamber orchestra
Members of the East Carolina University Orchestra
Jorge Richter, Director, will perform Three Musings on
Saturday, March 28, 2015, 7:30pm on a
NC NewMusic Initiative Concert in
Wright Auditorium, in Greenville, NC
Guidelines for the 2016 Orchestral Composition Competition
Open to all composers, regardless of age, nationality or institutional affiliation.
Prize: The winning work will be performed by
the East Carolina University Symphony in
March, 2016 in Wright Auditorium, Greenville, NC.
For consideration, the following materials must be received by December 1, 2016:
1. Scores (a maximum of two works; two copies of each submission) professional quality score(s), meeting guidelines noted below:
- Name of composer (anonymous entry NOT necessary)
- Maximum instrumentation: 2 flutes (piccolo double), 2 oboe (English Horn double), 2 clarinet (e-flat, bass double), 2 bassoon, 2 horn, 2 trumpet, 3 trombone (including bass), 1 tuba, Timpani, 2 percussion, piano, Strings
- Works with electronics/computer will be considered
- work with Harp will not be considered
- Works including soloists will not be considered
- Maximum duration of twelve (12) minutes
- Difficulty level suitable for advanced university orchestra
2. INFORMATION SHEET with:
- Composer's name, address, telephone number, e-mail address
- One paragraph bio, one paragraph program note
- Title of submitted composition(s), list of instrumentation, duration of composition, date of completion, and performance history (if applicable)
3. If available, a recording of the submitted work(s) may be included. Recordings are helpful, but are not necessary.
4. For EACH ENTRY, an APPLICATION FEE of $10 US in the form of a check payable to East Carolina University, with NewMusic Initiative noted in the memo. [Cash (US $) is also acceptable.] Payment may also be made online here.
5. Self-addressed stamped envelope if you wish your materials to be returned.
Members of The East Carolina University Orchestra, Jorge Richter, Director, will perform the single winning work on the Saturday, March 28, 2015, NC NewMusic Initiative concert on the East Carolina University campus in Greenville, NC.
Parts for the winning work must be received by January 15, 2016.
The composer of the winning work must be available to attend the festival. Every attempt will be made by the festival staff to provide accommodations for visitors, and to subsidize costs of travel. The composer of the winning work may also be asked to conduct a seminar, introducing their work to students and other festival attendants.
The composer of the selected score will be notified by December 20, 2015. Parts for the winning work must be received by January 15, 2016.
Address all submissions to:
Mark Taggart, Composition Competition Director NC NewMusic Initiative 366 Fletcher Music Center East Carolina University Greenville, NC 27858 E-mail: email@example.com