That time is here again! LIGHTS UP! is less than two months away and it is time to submit your applications.
LIGHTS UP! is a free, informal, student-driven performance opportunity to be held at 6:00PM on Monday, May
1st (DURING EXAM WEEK)) in the Messick Studio Theatre. Immediately following the show, the Junior
composition class will show their Screendance showing. LIGHTS UP! is an opportunity for dance and musical
theatre students to make and perform their own works of dance art. ANY kind of dance - musical theatre, ballet, jazz,
tap, modern, improvisation, hip-hop, ballroom, world dance, or a blend of styles that is uniquely your own. The point
is to be creative and take risks while making and performing the work that you love.
Submit your application via email by 5pm on Friday, March 28th to myself, Caroline Markoch at
UP APPLICATION" as the subject of your email. Please note, we have a 90 minute
maximum program length, so apply early to receive first consideration. All applications must include:
1. A list of the following information:
• Working Title
• Choreographer - Name or names of the choreographer/s (collaboration is encouraged!)
• Performer/s-Name or names of the performer/s. (All sizes of casts welcome - from solo to as many
as you can fit onstage!)
• Music - Name of the composer and title of the specific piece you are using.
• Projected length of the work - 5 Minutes MAX!!!
• Basic description of the style of work (this could be simple as in, "classical ballet variations," or "hot jazz,"
or more complex, "a blend of contemporary/modern, tap and hip-hop, interjected with short bursts of text
accompanied by two love songs performed live.")
2. All choreographers/directors must submit a written description of the work you want to have performed
on the program (one written description per application).
Your description should be as specific as possible. Try to "paint a picture" of what your work will be like
in performance. Also, make sure to include information regarding any props and costumes that you intend to use.