We appreciate your interest in the Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Program at East Carolina University/Brody School of Medicine. Applications to our program are accepted only through the Electronic Residency application Service (ERAS), which is available through the Dean’s Office of your medical school, through the ECFMG or online at www.aamc.org/students/medstudents/eras.
Please be aware that applications are viewed only when complete. During the application review process, consideration is given to those applicants who are thorough and prompt in completing the application process. You will, therefore, benefit by rechecking with individuals with whom you have requested letters, documents, etc. Interview appointments will be limited.
Minimum application criteria for our program are as follows:
- Application must include the following:
- USMLE transcript
- Personal statement - please provide information regarding your reasons for choosing the specialty of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Also, please ensure that you explain any time gaps in your medical training.
- Three letters of recommendation - all must be from physicians and at least one must be from a Physiatrist. Please ensure that these letters are ORIGINAL and CURRENT (written within the last six months). If you are currently in a residency program, one letter of recommendation should be from your current program director.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Recent Photograph
- Dean’s Letter
- Official Medical School Transcripts
- ECFMG certification - must be complete prior to the start of Residency training
- Applicants must have US medical experience, including at least 1 rotation in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Applicants must have successfully passed the USMLE Step 1 and 2 Exams with no more than 2 attempts
- Applicants must have passed the USMLE Clinical Skills (CS) Exam on the first attempt
- Applicants must have graduated from medical school within the past 5 years
- J-1 visa is the only visa type that Vidant Medical Center sponsors -> there are no exceptions to this
- Applicants are notified of available interview dates through ERAS. We will begin the interview process in late October and close in January
- Lodging for the night prior to the interview is arranged and paid for by the Department
- If your partner or spouse has also been invited to interview at Vidant Medical Center with another residency program, we will try to accommodate you such that you can both interview on the same day. However, our department does not contact other departments to request interviews for the spouses of prospective candidates.
If you need further information, please contact our Residency Program Coordinator at: