The East Carolina Heart Institute offers the most current surgical systems with the da Vinci® Si in the operating room and the training center.
Advanced Mitral Valve Courses: Under the direction of Dr. Wiley Nifong, this two-day course is designed to include live case observations with Dr. Chitwood and hands-on cadaveric training for primary surgeons as well as their complete operative team. We can also tailor the course to meet individual needs.
Advanced Cryomaze Courses: The focus of this course is on treatment of Atrial Fibrillation using minimally invasive robotic techniques. This experience includes live case observation, hands-on lab training, and discussion with electrophysiologists.
Personal Mentorship Case Observations: Observe Dr. Chitwood and Dr. Nifong perform cardiac robotic procedures using the da Vinci® Si Surgical System.
GYN, Uro, and General Surgery Courses: The Robotic Training Center offers certification courses in gynecology, urology, and general surgery.
Cardiac Master Classes: Dr. Chitwood and Dr. Nifong offer personal mentorship and training through Cardiac Master Classes. Class objectives are:
· To evaluate the different approaches to diagnosing and treating mitral valve disease.
· To demonstrate mitral valve surgery using the da Vinci® Surgical System.
· To determine the optimal way to participate in a multidisciplinary approach to treating mitral valve disease in order to improve patient outcomes.
· To enhance the decision-making process relating to treating patients with mitral valve disease.
· To evaluate repair versus replacement of the mitral valve.
· To demonstrate cryosurgery for atrial fibrillation.