Medical Laboratory Technician to Medical Laboratory Scientist Pathway
You are eligible for the MLT to MLS program if you meet ALL the following criteria:
1. graduate of an associate degree MLT/CLT program accredited by NAACLS.
2. hold certification as an MLT(ASCP), CLT(NCA), or equivalent.
3. have 1-year of full-time work experience as an MLT/CLT (or will have at the point of taking the CLSC courses).
4. have been admitted as a degree seeking student by East Carolina University (to apply, contact ECU Office of Admissions at 328-6133 or go to the website www.ecu.edu/admissions). Note: Be sure to have the registrar(s) at all college(s) you have attended, send an official transcript directly to the Registrar, East Carolina University, Whichard 105, Greenville, NC 27858-4353. On your ECU admissions application indicate CLSC as your intended major.
5. have been admitted to the clinical laboratory science program. Click HERE for the application.
Once admitted to ECU as an undergraduate degree-seeking student, the Registrar Office will evaluate your transcript(s) for transfer credit. ECU will not give credit for any of your MLT courses, but there is a mechanism that we use in CLSC to compensate for this which is explained below. ECU will give you credit for any other courses, though, that have an equivalent course at ECU or as elective credit.
The courses that are in the pre-professional phase of the CLSC degree are taken in departments outside of CLSC, therefore, we have no control over when and how they are offered. The pre-professional courses you must take are listed below as the specific ECU course along with the equivalent course at a community college if you prefer to take these courses in your home community. You will not have to take those courses for which you receive transfer credit.
Pre-Professional Phase Courses
Science Prerequisite Courses
||Community/Junior College Courses
|BIOL 1100, 1101
|CHEM 1150, 1151
|CHEM 1160, 1161
|CHEM 2750, 2753
|CHEM 2760, 2763
||MAT 151 & 151A or 155 & 155A
Foundations Curriculum courses (required for all BS and BA degrees at ECU)*
||Community/Junior College Courses
||ENG 112 or 113 or 114
||HEA 110 or 120
||PED any 100 level course
|Social Science (4 3-credit hour courses from 3 different prefixes)
||Includes courses in sociology, history, political science, psychology, geography, ethics, economics, and gerontology
|Humanities/Fine Arts (2 3-credit hour and 2 2-credit hour courses with at least 1 course in humanities and 1 course in fine arts)
||Humanities include courses in literature, greek and roman vocabulary, religion, ethics, philosophy, and literature in a foreign language: Fine Arts include courses in art, music, theatre, dance, and speech
* Note: Students who enter ECU with an associate of arts degree will be approved as meeting all ECU general education requirements.
Professional Phase (CLSC) Courses
In recognition of a MLT/CLT education, you will be given credit for the following 7 required courses based on meeting the eligibility requirements for the MTTP. For the 7 courses you will be given credit for, continued competence must be demonstrated. CLS faculty will determine student remediation, if necessary, prior to the student being allowed to continue through the program. These courses are:
|CLSC 3410 Hematology I
|CLSC 3411 Hematology I Lab
|CLSC 4430 Clinical Chemistry I
|CLSC 4431 Clinical Chemistry I Lab
|CLSC 3440 Clinical Microscopy and Serology Lecture
|CLSC 3441 Clinical Microscopy and Serology Lab
|BIOL 2110, 2111 Fundamentals of Microbiology with Lab
||14 credit hours
This credit will be awarded through "credit by memo" with posting of credit for HPRO 2502, 2503, 2504, and 2505 on your transcript.
GRADUATE WITH BS IN CLINICAL LABORATORY SCIENCE !!
It should take you approximately 2 years to complete the MTTP to your BS degree taking a full academic load each semester (15-18 credits/semester).
For further information on the MTTP, contact:
Department of Clinical Laboratory Science
College of Allied Health Sciences
East Carolina University
Health Sciences Building, 3410
Greenville, NC 27858-4353