MS, Communication Sciences and Disorders

Frequently Asked Questions

What if I don't have an undergraduate degree in Communication Sciences & Disorders?

If your undergraduate degree is in a field other than Communication Sciences & Disorders, you MUST have at least 21 credit hours of required undergraduate courses. The specific courses are defined on our website under Admission Information - Prerequisites.

Do you offer any financial aid/assistance for the Distance Education student?

You should contact ECU Student Financial Aid Office (252-737-6610) for information regarding financial aid.

I have taken some graduate courses in the field at another university. Will you accept transfer credits toward the degree?

We may accept up to 9 semester hours of graduate transfer credit from another institution(s). Requests for such transfer credit must be made at time of admission. The course syllabus and official transcripts from the transferring institution must accompany the request. The course(s) to be transferred must be in the content area of the courses required in our department. Our instructors will determine if the course content warrants approval of the transfer credit.

The program-of-study is for three years. Can I shorten it by taking more than two courses per semester?

Because we offer undergraduate, Master's and PhD degrees for full time students, we must adhere to a schedule and class size that we can effectively manage. We therefore cannot make any changes in the program-of-study without those changes adversely affecting the quality, and possible accreditation of the program. Therefore, you will not be allowed to take more than what has been outlined. Further, we have found that most students are in the DE program because they are working. Our experience tells us that two graduate courses per semester plus a clinical internship is MORE than enough to handle, and handle well! All students must maintain a 3.0 GPA to remain in good academic standing.

What is a residency and where can it occur?

A residency means that a student spends time on the University's campus. The residency offered for our Distance Education program means that you spend eleven weeks on our campus.