Assistant Professor email@example.com 252-737-7228 Ledyard E. Ross Hall
Research InterestsOral microbiology, mycology, virology, drug discovery, pharmacology and pharmacognosy
EducationDDS - State University of CampinasMS (Pharmacology/Pharmacognosy) - State University of CampinasPhD (Pharmacology/Microbiology) - State University of CampinasCertificate (Oral Microbiology)- University of RochesterPostdoctoral (Mycology) – New York UniversityPostdoctoral (Virology) – New York University
Society MembershipsInternational Association for Dental Research – IADR (2016 IADR: President of Pharmacology/Therapeutics/Toxicology Research Group)American Association for Dental Research – AADRAmerican Society of Pharmacognosy – ASPAmerican Dental Association
Biographical InformationDr. Murata holds a DDS, MS and PhD (Pharmacology/Microbiology) from UNICAMP. In addition, he completed a postdoctoral fellowship in Microbiology/Virology at New York University. Dr. Murata’s lab primary research interest is to address biomedical therapy using the interrelationships between pharmacognosy and molecular biology. This type of investigation often involves attempting to understand a sequence of events at the molecular level of interaction between natural molecules and microorganisms to predict its in vivo antimicrobial potential.
Publications1. McCubrey JA, Abrams SL, Lertpiriyapong K, Cocco L, Ratti S, Martelli AM, Candido S, Libra M, Murata RM, Rosalen PL, Lombardi P, Montalto G, Cervello M, Gizak A, Rakus D, Steelman LS. Effects of berberine, curcumin, resveratrol alone and in combination with chemotherapeutic drugs and signal transduction inhibitors on cancer cells-Power of nutraceuticals. Adv Biol Regul. 2017 Oct 3. pii: S2212-4926(17)30166-5.
2. McCubrey JA, Lertpiriyapong K, Steelman LS, Abrams SL, Yang LV, Murata RM, Rosalen PL, Scalisi A, Neri LM, Cocco L, Ratti S, Martelli AM, Laidler P, Duli?ska-Litewka J, Rakus D, Gizak A, Lombardi P, Nicoletti F, Candido S, Libra M, Montalto G, Cervello M. Effects of resveratrol, curcumin, berberine and other nutraceuticals on aging, cancer development, cancer stem cells and microRNAs. Aging (Albany NY). 2017 Jun 12;9(6):1477-1536.
3. Silva VO, Pereira LJ, Murata RM*. Oral microbe-host interactions: Influence of B-glucans on gene expression of inflammatory cytokines and metabolome profile. BMC Microbiol 2017 Mar 7;17(1):53. *Correspondent Author
4. Kim D, Sengupta A, Niepa TH, Lee BH, Weljie A, Freitas-Blanco VS, Murata RM, Stebe KJ, Lee D, Koo H. Candida albicans stimulates Streptococcus mutans microcolony development via cross-kingdom biofilm-derived metabolites. Sci Rep. 2017 Jan 30;7:41332.
5. Seleem D, Pardi V, Murata RM*. Review of flavonoids: A diverse group of natural compounds with anti-Candida albicans activity in vitro. Arch Oral Biol. 2017 Apr;76:76-83 *Correspondent Author.
6. Zancope BR, Dainezi VB, Nobre dos Santos M, Duarte S, Pardi V, Murata RM*. Effects of CO2 laser irradiation on matrix-rich biofilm development formation – An in vitro study. PeerJ. 2016 Nov 1;4:e2458. *Correspondent Author.
7. Noguti J, Rajinia M, Zancope BR, Marquezin MCS, Seleem D, Pardi V, Murata RM*. Antifungal Activity of Alkaloids Against Candida albicans. J Calif Dent Assoc. 2016 Aug;44(8):493-8. *Correspondent Author.
8. Seleem D, Chen E, Benso B, Pardi V, Murata RM*. In vitro evaluation of antifungal activity of monolaurin against Candida albicans biofilms. PeerJ. 2016 Jun 22;4:e2148. *Correspondent Author.
9. Seleem D, Benso B, Noguti J, Pardi V, Murata RM*. In Vitro and In Vivo Antifungal Activity of Lichochalcone-A against Candida albicans Biofilms. PLoS One. 2016 Jun 10;11(6):e0157188. *Correspondent Author.
10. Benso B, Rosalen PL, Alencar SM, Murata RM*. Malva Silvestre inhibits inflammatory response in oral human cells. An in vitro model. PLoS One. 2015 Oct 19;10(10):e0140331. *Correspondent Author.
11. Patuwo C, Young K, Lin M, Pardi P, Murata RM*. The Changing Role of HIV-associated Oral Candidiasis in the Era of HAART. J Calif Dent Assoc. 2015 Feb;43(2):87-92. *Correspondent Author.
12. Delben J, Murata RM, Wei X, Castro M, Assunção W, Silva N, Duarte S. Low-temperature plasma: an effective approach against Candida albicans biofilm. Plasma Medicine 2015
13. Pasetto S, Pardi V, Murata RM*. Anti-HIV-1 activity of flavonoid Myricetin on HIV-1 infection in a Dual-Chamber in vitro model. PLoS One. 2014 Dec 29;9(12):e115323. *Correspondent Author.
14. Freires I de A, Murata RM*, Furletti VF, Sartoratto A, Alencar SM, Figueira GM, de Oliveira Rodrigues JA, Duarte MC, Rosalen PL*. Coriandrum sativum L. (Coriander) essential oil: antifungal activity and mode of action on Candida spp., and molecular targets affected in human whole-genome expression. PLoS One. 2014 Jun 5;9(6):e99086. *Correspondent Authors.
Research SupportOngoing Research SupportR21AI127640 Ramiro M. Murata (Co-I) National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases“Exploiting Interspecies/interkingdom communication for the discovery and development of novel natural products antifungal therapeutics”Role: Co-investigator (50%)
ECU Startup Fund“Influence of oral microbiome on HIV pathogenesis”Role: PI
Completed Research SupportR00AT006507 Ramiro M. Murata (PI)National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health“Benzophenones: Novel natural agents which inhibits HIV and Candida”Role: PI
Ramiro M. Murata (PI)Pilot Seed Grant USC“Pharmacological effect of flavonoids on HIV infection”Role: PI
P30AI027742 Ramiro M. Murata (PI)CFAR Pilot RFA from NYU Center for AIDS Research and NIAID“Pharmacological effect of small molecules on HIV infection”Role: PI