Ledyard E. Ross Hall
Oral microbiology, mycology, virology, drug discovery, pharmacology and pharmacognosy
DDS - State University of Campinas
MS (Pharmacology/Pharmacognosy) - State University of Campinas
PhD (Pharmacology/Microbiology) - State University of Campinas
Certificate (Oral Microbiology)- University of Rochester
Postdoctoral (Mycology) – New York University
Postdoctoral (Virology) – New York University
International Association for Dental Research – IADR (2016 IADR: President of Pharmacology/Therapeutics/Toxicology Research Group)
American Association for Dental Research – AADR
American Society of Pharmacognosy – ASP
American Dental Association
Dr. Murata holds a DDS, MS and PhD (Pharmacology/Microbiology) from UNICAMP. In addition, he completed a postdoctoral fellowship in Microbiology/Virology at New York University. Dr. Murata’s lab primary research interest is to address biomedical therapy using the interrelationships between pharmacognosy and molecular biology. This type of investigation often involves attempting to understand a sequence of events at the molecular level of interaction between natural molecules and microorganisms to predict its in vivo antimicrobial potential.
1. Silva VO, Pereira LJ, Murata RM*. Oral microbe-host interactions: Influence of B-glucans on gene expression of inflammatory cytokines and metabolome profile. BMC Microbiol 2017 Mar 7;17(1):53. *Correspondent Author
2. Kim D, Sengupta A, Niepa TH, Lee BH, Weljie A, Freitas-Blanco VS, Murata RM, Stebe KJ, Lee D, Koo H. Candida albicans stimulates Streptococcus mutans microcolony development via cross-kingdom biofilm-derived metabolites. Sci Rep. 2017 Jan 30;7:41332.
3. Seleem D, Pardi V, Murata RM*. Review of flavonoids: A diverse group of natural compounds with anti-Candida albicans activity in vitro. Arch Oral Biol. 2017 Apr;76:76-83 *Correspondent Author.
4. Zancope BR, Dainezi VB, Nobre dos Santos M, Duarte S, Pardi V, Murata RM*. Effects of CO2 laser irradiation on matrix-rich biofilm development formation – An in vitro study. PeerJ. 2016 Nov 1;4:e2458. *Correspondent Author.
5. Noguti J, Rajinia M, Zancope BR, Marquezin MCS, Seleem D, Pardi V, Murata RM*. Antifungal Activity of Alkaloids Against Candida albicans. J Calif Dent Assoc. 2016 Aug;44(8):493-8. *Correspondent Author.
6. Seleem D, Chen E, Benso B, Pardi V, Murata RM*. In vitro evaluation of antifungal activity of monolaurin against Candida albicans biofilms. PeerJ. 2016 Jun 22;4:e2148. *Correspondent Author.
7. Seleem D, Benso B, Noguti J, Pardi V, Murata RM*. In Vitro and In Vivo Antifungal Activity of Lichochalcone-A against Candida albicans Biofilms. PLoS One. 2016 Jun 10;11(6):e0157188. *Correspondent Author.
8. Benso B, Rosalen PL, Alencar SM, Murata RM*. Malva Silvestre inhibits inflammatory response in oral human cells. An in vitro model. PLoS One. 2015 Oct 19;10(10):e0140331. *Correspondent Author.
9. Patuwo C, Young K, Lin M, Pardi P, Murata RM*. The Changing Role of HIV-associated Oral Candidiasis in the Era of HAART. J Calif Dent Assoc. 2015 Feb;43(2):87-92. *Correspondent Author.
10. Delben J, Murata RM, Wei X, Castro M, Assunção W, Silva N, Duarte S. Low-temperature plasma: an effective approach against Candida albicans biofilm. Plasma Medicine 2015
11. Pasetto S, Pardi V, Murata RM*. Anti-HIV-1 activity of flavonoid Myricetin on HIV-1 infection in a Dual-Chamber in vitro model. PLoS One. 2014 Dec 29;9(12):e115323. *Correspondent Author.
12. Freires I de A, Murata RM*, Furletti VF, Sartoratto A, Alencar SM, Figueira GM, de Oliveira Rodrigues JA, Duarte MC, Rosalen PL*. Coriandrum sativum L. (Coriander) essential oil: antifungal activity and mode of action on Candida spp., and molecular targets affected in human whole-genome expression. PLoS One. 2014 Jun 5;9(6):e99086. *Correspondent Authors.
13. Duarte S, Kuo SP, Murata RM, Chen CY, Saxena D, Huang KJ, Popovic S. Air plasma effect on dental disinfection. Physics of Plasma. 2011 Jul; 18(7):07350311-7.
14. Yoo S, Murata RM, Duarte S. Antimicrobial traits of tea and cranberry derived polyphenols against Streptococcus mutans. Caries Res. 2011 Jun; 45:327-335 Review (Cover).
15. Branco-de-Almeida LS, Murata RM, Franco EM, Dos Santos MH, de Alencar SM, Koo H, Rosalen PL. Effects of 7-Epiclusianone on Streptococcus mutans and Caries Development in Rats. Planta Med. 2011 Jan; 77(1):40-5.
16. Murata RM, Branco-de-Almeida LS, Franco EM, Yatsuda R, Dos Santos MH, de Alencar SM, Koo H, Rosalen PL. Inhibition of Streptococcus mutans biofilm accumulation and development of dental caries in vivo by 7-epiclusianone and fluoride. Biofouling. 2010 Oct;26(7):865-72. (Top 10 papers 2010 – Editors choice)
17. Koo H, Duarte S, Murata RM, Scott-Anne K, Gregoire S, Watson GE, Singh AP, Vorsa N. Influence of cranberry proanthocyanidins on formation of biofilms by Streptococcus mutans on saliva-coated apatitic surface and on dental caries development in vivo. Caries Res. 2010 Mar 16;44(2):116-126.
18. Murata RM, Yatsuda R, Dos Santos MH, Kohn LK, Martins FT, Nagem TJ, Alencar SM, de Carvalho JE, Rosalen PL. Antiproliferative effect of benzophenones and their influence on cathepsin activity. Phytother Res. 2010 Mar;24(3):379-83.
19. Murata RM, Branco de Almeida LS, Yatsuda R, Dos Santos MH, Nagem TJ, Rosalen PL, Koo H. Inhibitory effects of 7-epiclusianone on glucan synthesis, acidogenicity and biofilm formation by Streptococcus mutans. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2008 May;282(2):174-81.
20. Almeida LS, Murata RM, Yatsuda R, Dos Santos MH, Nagem TJ, Alencar SM, Koo H, Rosalen PL. Antimicrobial activity of Rheedia brasiliensis and 7-epiclusianone against Streptococcus mutans. Phytomedicine. 2008 Oct;15(10):886-91.
21. Murata RM, Pardi V. Is dental caries reaching epidemic proportions in Brazil? Nature Review Immunology. 2007 Apr 7(4):304 (Correspondence).
22. Castilho AR, Murata RM, Pardi V. Natural products in Dentistry. Rev Saude 2007 1:11-9.
23. Yatsuda R, Rosalen PL, Murata RM, Cury JA, Redher VLG, Melo LV, Koo H. Effects of Mikania genus plants on growth and cell adherence of mutans streptococci. J Ethnopharmacol. 2005 Feb 28;97(2):183-9.
24. Koo H, Rosalen PL, Cury JA, Ambrosano GM, Murata RM, Yatsuda R, Ikegaki M, Alencar SM, Park YK. Effect of a new variety of Apis mellifera propolis on mutans Streptococci. Curr Microbiol. 2000 Sep 41(3):192-6.
Ongoing Research Support
R21AI127640 Ramiro M. Murata (Co-I)
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
“Exploiting Interspecies/interkingdom communication for the discovery and development of novel natural products antifungal therapeutics”
Role: Co-investigator (50%)
ECU Startup Fund
“Influence of oral microbiome on HIV pathogenesis”
Completed Research Support
R00AT006507 Ramiro M. Murata (PI)
National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health
“Benzophenones: Novel natural agents which inhibits HIV and Candida”
Ramiro M. Murata (PI)
Pilot Seed Grant USC
“Pharmacological effect of flavonoids on HIV infection”
P30AI027742 Ramiro M. Murata (PI)
CFAR Pilot RFA from NYU Center for AIDS Research and NIAID
“Pharmacological effect of small molecules on HIV infection”