East Carolina University. Tomorrow starts here.®
School of Dental Medicine

BlackBoardIT Help DeskPirateIDIndexEmail and PhoneOneStopCalendarAccessibility
SoDM Home Banner

What major should I choose?

ECU Dental School does not give preference to certain majors. We encourage students to choose any major that interests them. The most important thing is to have strong performance in all courses, and particularly in the prerequisite courses.


What college or university should I attend to complete my undergraduate coursework?

That is your choice.  However, be sure that it is an accredited four-year college/university.


May I take some courses at a community college?

Yes. We understand that some students may choose to attend community college for a year or two before transferring to a four-year institution, but that should comprise no more than 60 hours of your total coursework.  All community college credits must be accepted for transfer and validated by the degree-granting institution.


How many non-residents of North Carolina will you admit?

None.  We are only accepting North Carolina residents at this time.


How can I find out more about dentistry?

There are many websites that provide career information about dentistry. Here are just a few of them:

American Dental Association  www.ada.org

American Dental Education Association  www.adea.org

National Dental Association  www.NDAonline.org


Do you accept foreign dentists into your program?

Internationally trained dentists, if residents of North Carolina, are certainly eligible for admission consideration, following the same admission requirements and process specified for all other applicants. There is no option for admission with advanced standing at this time.


What is a competitive score on the DAT’s?

That national average score for first time test takers is approximately 18. Competitive scores, therefore, would be scores above 18 in all sections. 


How many students are admitted into the DMD program each year?

We are accepting 50 students.


Is a bachelor’s degree required for admission?



In addition to the required undergraduate courses (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and English), what other courses are suggested?

We strongly encourage prospective students to take additional life science courses, such as microbiology, anatomy, physiology and genetics. Additionally, courses in psychology, business and sculpture are also helpful.


Must I have all required courses completed before I apply?

No, but those courses must be completed no later than June 30 of the year of matriculation. 


What is the deadline for applications?

December 1st, although we strongly recommend that you apply much earlier in the admissions cycle.


When will I be notified of acceptance?

According to an agreement among all US dental school admissions officers, no offers of admission will be extended before December 1st. After December 1st, admissions offers will be made on a rolling basis, until the class is filled.


When should I take the DAT?

You should plan to take the DAT no later than the spring or summer of the year preceding the anticipated date of entry. You may take the test earlier if all required courses in have been completed, but we strongly urge that you not take the test until you are fully prepared.


How many times may I take the DAT?

Most candidates take the exam once. Some candidates end up taking the DAT more than once, although you should not take the test with that expectation. The DAT has placed a limit of three attempts.


How are students selected to fill the class?

Selection is based upon academic performance in undergraduate studies, DAT scores, personal characteristics, commitment to the underserved/rural communities of North Carolina and potential for success as determined by letters of recommendation and the personal interview.


How early may I apply?

AADSAS applications for 2012 admission will be available June 1, 2011.


What do I do if my school has a Pre-Health Professions Advisory Committee?

Students should always go through the Pre-Health Professions Advisory Committee, if one is available at their school.