Once the AADSAS and supplemental application are received in the Office of Admissions, the application materials will be carefully reviewed. This holistic review includes consideration of each applicant whose credentials indicate that they may be successful candidates, these applicants will be invited for an interview with the Admissions Committee.
Candidates under consideration for admission will be invited for an interview with members of the Admissions Committee. In advance of the interview, candidates will receive correspondence that delineates the agenda for the day of the interview.
Review by the Admissions Committee
In keeping with its mission as a state-supported school established to train dentists who will meet the needs of all residents of North Carolina, the East Carolina University School of Dental Medicine considers the following selection factors:
- Academic background and performance in post-secondary coursework, with emphasis on performance in pre-requisite and science courses
- Performance on the DAT and other available standardized tests
- Activities demonstrating the applicant’s commitment to service and care for underserved communities or populations
- Faculty letters of recommendation
- Recommendation from a dentist, currently practicing or retired from practice in North Carolina, attesting to the applicant’s ethical bearing
- Knowledge of the dental profession, as evidenced by career-related activities as shadowing professionals, community service and other volunteer opportunities
- Interview conducted by members of the Admissions Committee
- Any other available, pertinent information
The Admissions Committee meets periodically throughout the admissions cycle to review applications. Each applicant’s record is evaluated holistically, using all available information to best determine the applicant’s character and qualifications for the study of dentistry.
Offers of Admission
Offers of admission will be extended, beginning on December 1, continuing on a rolling basis until all class positions are filled and a pool of alternates has been established. Candidates who receive an offer of admission will be given a designated time frame in which to respond.
Candidates selected to receive an offer of admission will be required to successfully complete a criminal background check, administered by Certiphi Screening Incorporated, and coordinated through AADSAS. The cost of the background check will be the responsibility of the candidate.
All offers of admission will be contingent upon the candidate consenting to and passing a criminal background check, as administered by Certiphi. Candidates must initiate the process with Certiphi within one week of receiving an offer of admission. Failure to provide complete, accurate and truthful information in the AADSAS or ECU SoDM Supplemental Application, or to Certiphi, will be grounds to deny or withdraw an offer of admission, or dismiss a student after enrollment.
Acceptance of Offers
Candidates who wish to accept the offer of admission will be required to verify their ability to meet the established Technical Standards for Admission, Enrollment and Graduation, and to pay an initial, nonrefundable tuition deposit. Candidates are expected to maintain the same level of academic achievement and professional conduct that led to the offer of admission, including completion of all anticipated degree requirements. Failure to do so will result in a re-examination of the candidate’s credentials and the possible withdrawal of the offer to matriculate.