In order for your medications to remain effective they need to be stored properly.
- Always store drugs out of children's reach.
- Always keep medicines in their original container.
- Don't leave the cotton plug in a medicine bottle. This can draw moisture into the container.
- Check the expiration date each time you take a drug. Replace any medications that are out of date.
- Never use a medication that has changed color, texture, or odor, even if it has not expired. Throw away capsules or tablets that stick together, are harder or softer than normal, or are cracked or chipped.
- Ask your pharmacist about any specific storage instructions.
For more information about medication storage, refer to the manufacturer's packing information or the National Institutes of Health.