- Salaries: Resident salaries may be adjusted annually on July 1st. Salaries have been increased each year since the initiation of residency training in this institution. Residents are paid on the basis of their level of training in their respective training programs. The 2012-2013 academic year salaries are:
- Vacation: Three weeks of paid vacation are provided annually and scheduled through the respective program director.
- Professional Leave and Educational Benefits: Individual departments provide additional benefits to further your education. These may include textbooks, journal subscriptions, membership in professional societies, financial support for educational meetings outside the medical center and start up money for research programs. Specific information concerning these educational benefits is available from the program directors of individual residency programs.
- Sick Leave: Residents are provided twelve days of paid sick leave annually. Residents requiring extended sick leave must use accrued sick days. Leave beyond this time is leave without pay. If FMLA eligible, holiday/vacation days will be used after sick days are exhausted. If absence not covered under FMLA, vacation/holiday may be used.
- Professional Liability Insurance: Residents are provided malpractice coverage for activities that are directly related with their residency training program (does not include moonlighting). This coverage is in force regardless of when a claim is filed and is part of the Self Insurance Retention program with limits of $3 million occurrence/$12 million aggregate. VMC Risk Management handles all risk, legal and issuance issues for residents and can be reached at 847-4584 or after hours by calling RM On Call at beeper 413-4473.
- Hospital and Health Insurance: A group plan for Hospital and Health Insurance for the residents and dependents is available at group rates and is effective upon employment.
- Long Term Disability Insurance: Long Term Disability Insurance for the residents is available at group rates and premiums may be paid by salary reduction on an after tax basis.
- Life Insurance: Residents are provided life insurance equal to their annual salary. Additional life insurance is available at group rates and the premiums may be paid by salary reduction on an after tax basis. Dependent Life Insurance ($5000 for spouse and $2500 for eligible children) is provided upon employment.
- Flexible Benefits: A flexible benefit program is available after six months of employment which include: Medical Plan Deductible Options; Dental Plan; Additional Life Insurance; Dependent Life Insurance; Child Care and Health Care Reimbursement Accounts; and Partnership Savings Plan.
- Moving Expense: New Residents are given two options for reimbursement of moving expenses when joining our programs. Option 1: VMC will reimburse the resident up to $1000 for documented moving expenses of household goods during their relocation process. Original receipts are required. Option 2: Residents may opt to receive a $1000 Relocation Fund. This payment is taxable and 41% of the $1000 will be withheld for taxes.
- Hospital Bill Discount: Employees of VMC, spouses of employees, and dependent children of employees with VMC Medical Plan coverage or another comparable plan will be eligible for a discount of 50% towards the deductible and/or 50% towards the co-insurance, when the services are covered by insurance.
- Tuition Aid Plan: This plan is intended to help employees wishing to continue their education through voluntary off the job instruction and study. Details are available in the Department of Human Relations.
- Lab Coats Allowance: An allowance of $100.00 is given for the purchase of lab coats. Information on where to purchase these coats will be given at orientation.
- Laundry for Lab Coats: Lab coats will be picked up from your department twice a week for cleaning. No other laundry service is provided.
- Meal Allowance: $100 Meal Allowance is provided to all residents and fellows each month (money does not accrue from month to month) regardless of call schedules.
- Call Rooms: Call rooms are provided for residents who are required to remain in the hospital overnight.
- USMLE/COMLEX Step 3 Reimbursement: VMC will reimburse a resident for USMLE/COMLEX Step 3 that is taken during their training at the institution. This is a one-time reimbursement that is granted regardless of passage of the exam. Reimbursement takes place after the exam has been taken. Prepayment to Federation of State Medical Boards or COMLEX is available and encouraged.
- GME Center/Lounge: This Center specifically designated for residents and fellows has a computer/dictation area, private study rooms for groups or individuals and a complete kitchen featuring all amenities. The recreation center has a pool table, foosball table, 2 flat screen TVs and a PlayStation. Also located within the GME Center is the Resident/Fellow Liaison office where residents and fellows can get career counseling such as assistance with CVs, cover letters, contracts, and find job opportunities.
Additional benefits include access to Vidant Employee Assistance Program (VEAP), the employee assistance program at the hospital, free parking, employee health programs and allowances for books, journals and attendance at conferences.
Residents and spouses may join Vidant Wellness Center, our 52,000 square-foot wellness and fitness center at reduced rates. The Wellness Center is operated on a medical model and features state-of-the-art equipment and facilities including an indoor track, aerobics studios, three pools and a sauna. Childcare is available for a nominal fee. The Wellness Center also offers a number of educational programs geared to reduction of disease risk factors such as obesity, smoking, sedentary lifestyle and others. Services such as massage therapy, recreational programs and personal trainers are also available.
For additional information regarding these benefits contact:
VMC Graduate Medical Education 1-800-775-4347, 1-252-847-4268 or
Compensation and Benefits (252) 847-4479