As defined by the U.S. National Library of Medicine, “health informatics is the interdisciplinary study of the design, development, adoption, and application of IT-based innovations in healthcare services delivery, management, and planning”. The Master of Health Informatics and Information Management (HIIM) is an intensive, fast-paced program for anyone interested in working in the exciting field of health care with an interest in technology. Being at the crossroads of information technology and health care, you will position yourself to be a part of the digital revolution transforming the health care industry.
The Master of Science in Health Informatics and Information Management program at East Carolina University is in Candidacy Status, pending accreditation review by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). Our program offers a unique and comprehensive curriculum that prepares students to take on leadership and technology roles in the design, development and management of enterprise level health information systems.
- Located in an urban setting surrounded by a vast rural community places East Carolina University in a place with tremendous research opportunities and potential for community engagement and partnerships through health informatics interventions and community learning.
- All classes in the program can be taken either on campus or online (distance education). This allows our graduate students the flexibility to balance their work and school responsibilities according to their schedules.
- ECU has been ranked as the “Best Bang for the Buck” by the Washington Monthly magazine, based on the net price of attendance, the graduation rate and whether students go on to earn enough to pay off their student loans.
- A hub for education, culture and entertainment, commerce and medical services. Greenville is conveniently located 85 miles East of Raleigh (the capital city of North Carolina) and just 80 miles away from the beaches on the Atlantic coast. Residents here experience a relatively temperate climate, while experiencing all four seasons each year.
Who should apply?
With health informatics being an interdisciplinary field, you will find yourself among students with very diverse skills and backgrounds, including allied health, nursing, business, human ecology, health and human performance, engineering, technology and computer science. This creates for a stimulating learning environment, allowing for the formulation and exchange of new ideas. The MS HIIM program caters to all: health care professionals wanting to make a transition to health informatics and information management, as well as those already working in the area of health informatics and information management, wishing to further advance their careers by honing their skills and earning a master’s degree. Our program especially appeals to:
- Health Administrators
- Data Security Analysts
- System Developers
- Data Analysts
- Healthcare IT Project Managers
What will I learn?
The comprehensive and unique MS HIIM curriculum does not only cover vital concepts and technical skills that define health informatics, but also includes an internship that cultivates a skill set aligned to prepare you to be a dynamic, successful leader and decision-maker as you advance in your career. The internship is a valuable component of the program, where students get hands-on training, skills and real-world experience to be successful in the workplace.
- eHealth Care Information Systems
- Decision Support Systems
- Electronic Health Records
- Database Systems in Health Care
- Health Information Privacy and Security
- Health Data Structures
- Evaluations Methods in Health Informatics
- Verbal and written communication
- Project management
- Critical thinking