The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee fosters compliance through facilitating the efforts of the institution's scientists and instructors in the utilization of animals in research, education and other scholarly pursuits.

If you plan to use vertebrate animals in research projects or teaching activities, you must complete an Animal Use Protocol (AUP), enroll in the ECU Occupational Health Program (OHP) for Animal Users, and take all required training.

Antibodies are considered customized if produced using antigen(s) provided by or at the request of the investigator (i.e. not purchased off-the-shelf). According to the Public Health Service (PHS), the organization producing custom antibodies for a principal investigator (PI) must have a PHS Assurance. The organization should also be AAALAC International accredited and must be USDA registered if the species being used in the antibody production is a USDA covered species.

If you plan to have custom antibodies produced for you by another organization, the above requirements must be met, and you must have an approved animal use protocol (AUP) at ECU covering this offsite facility work.

If you plan to use slaughterhouse tissues or tissues acquired from animals that have been euthanized for another purpose, you do not need to complete an AUP, but you must enroll in the OHP by completing the health history form.

Please click on the Required Training link on the right hand side of this web page for specific instructions and forms.

For more information or if you have further questions, please contact us at 252-744-2436 or e-mail iacuc@ecu.edu.