Director, William E. Laupus Health Sciences Library
The Library Director provides dynamic leadership and oversight for Laupus Library at East Carolina University (ECU), and assures the delivery of high quality academic and knowledge-based resources and tools that align the library’s strategic plan with the goals of the University and Division of Health Sciences, most notably: the Brody School of Medicine, School of Dental Medicine, College of Nursing, and College of Allied Health Sciences. The Director is the senior administrative officer of the Health Sciences Library and for the Country Doctor Museum in Bailey, NC, and reports directly to the Vice Chancellor for Health Sciences. The Director also works with faculty and staff in developing and implementing a vision for the library's future, assuring effective implementation and operation of quality service programs and resource collections, provides leadership in technology and innovation for the library. This position requires demonstrated expertise in planning, budget management and in library development. A strong commitment to providing service of the highest quality to students, as well as faculty and health care practitioners is required.
Duties and responsibilities of the Director, William E. Laupus Health Sciences Library, include but may not be limited to, the following:
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Creates a vision for Laupus Library, providing leadership for the library and overseeing services both traditional and innovative in synchronization with the vision, mission and strategic plans of the University and campus libraries.
- Prepares and effectively manages the library’s budgets and accounts, ensuring that financial expenditures meet all of the plans and reporting requirements of the University. Ensure annual budgets are planned and managed with attention to the needs of Laupus Library and the Country Doctor Museum programs, demonstrating good stewardship without incurring deficits. Provides leadership in seeking extramural funding and library development opportunities.
- Recruits, leads, motivates, and develops staff in a way that fosters engagement and high performance. Creates and communicates clear performance measures, accountability and continuing education to develop staff. Ensures the organizational structure and operations of the Laupus Library are appropriate to meet the mission and health information needs of the Division of Health Sciences, the University and eastern North Carolina.
- Leads the library’s strategic planning process working with staff, students, faculty and administration to identify strategic directions, goals and objectives aligned with the needs of the University. Develops relevant assessment tools, strategies, classes and programs to continuously monitor and improve services and resources. Ensures necessary and appropriate collaborations, memberships, internal university and external linkages are established and maintained, including close collaboration with Academic Library Services.
- Maintains awareness of emerging technologies and service trends, and their application to libraries. Develops and delivers information services that adapt innovations in technology. Provides oversight of the web presence and marketing of library services and resources.
- Develops research support services, resources, and facilitates implementation of the University’s research initiatives, including data management and other scholarly communications activities. Develops library research initiatives at professional meetings and conferences as appropriate.
- Develops interprofessional collaboration support services, resources, and facilitates implementation of the University’s interprofessional education initiatives.
- Provides leadership and oversight in developing and maintaining relationships with Vidant Medical Center and Eastern Area Health Education Center(Eastern AHEC), and other similar entities.
- Provides leadership and oversight in negotiating with vendors and vendor contacts.
- Actively promotes and represents Laupus Library to the University and community, including innovative marketing outlets such as social media, websites and newsletters.
Education, Qualifications & Skills
The following includes both required and preferred education, qualifications and skills that the successful candidate must possess.
A Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science from an accredited American Library Association program or an international equivalent is required. An additional terminal graduate or professional degree in management or the health sciences is preferred.
Awareness of current and emerging trends and applications is required. Ability to evaluate current and new hardware and software applications is preferred. Ability to oversee the management of automated library systems that are responsive to the organization’s goals is required. An ability to demonstrate understanding of current and evolving educational media technologies and applications is essential.
The candidate is required to have at least 5 years of progressive and accomplished experience in library administrative/leadership roles that include significant responsibilities for budgetary oversight and resource planning, preferably in an academic health sciences library or similar setting. Successful candidates will be required to present a history of successful grant funding or development activities, scholarly dissemination and collaboration with educators, researchers, clinicians and stakeholders.
Knowledge of library operations, including managing electronic resources, collection development, and document delivery as well as knowledge and skills in evaluating, implementing and making accessible new knowledge-based technologies is required. Experience with space planning, systems analysis and library automation is also required. Experience providing leadership for archival or history programs is preferred.
East Carolina University requires applicants to submit a candidate profile online in order to be considered for the position. In addition to submitting a candidate profile online, please submit online the required applicant documents:
- Curriculum Vitae,
- Letter of Interest,
- List of Three References (noting contact information)
East Carolina University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Visit Job Posting
Visit this job posting at: http://ecu.peopleadmin.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=75749