Librarian for Information Services (Liaison to the Brody School of Medicine) (Position #977006)
The Librarian for Information Services and liaison to the Brody School of Medicine (BSOM) provides leadership in the planning, coordinating, delivery, promotion and assessment of library and information services for faculty and students in ECU's Brody School of Medicine (BSOM). This position serves as a member of the Laupus Library Information Services Department and provides reference services, including regular reference shifts and related tasks assisting library users as needed. This position also develops and delivers library skills training. The liaison is expected to become immersed in the work of BSOM faculty and students in order to best understand their needs regarding library related services and resources.
- Functions as a liaison to BSOM providing reference assistance, routinely interacting and communicating with faculty and students to assess information needs in support of curriculum and research projects, and responding to identified needs with appropriate library services and resources.
- Assesses and responds to client needs; promote and publicize Laupus Library services and collections, review subject literature for acquisition,
- Orients new faculty, students, and staff, and provide information services as needed.
- Supports and collaborates with researchers in BSOM, providing assistance and expertise with scholarly communication tasks such as data curation, the NIH open access mandate, and by providing guidance with high level expert systematic reviews.
- Develops, teaches, and assesses library and information skills programs for students, faculty, and staff in traditional, non-traditional, and distance learning environments, as needed in coordination with the Instructional Design Librarian.
- Provides reference services during regular reference shifts in Laupus Library.
- Recommends acquisitions in subject areas appropriate to BSOM.
- Assists in maintaining the print and electronic collections by reviewing weekly book vendor approval plan, by assisting in weeding and/or shifting the print collection as needed.
- Reviews web-based information and resources and suggests additions and/or changes on behalf of the BSOM.
- Participates in the work of the Information Services unit and collaborates with other colleagues as appropriate.
- Represents Laupus Library at meetings and similar work related events.
- Participates in Laupus Library committees and projects as assigned.
- Participates in scholarly activities, and professional service.
- Seeks opportunities to enhance professional knowledge, skills, and abilities as they relate to this position and his/her overall career development.
- Maintains professional demeanor, conduct and ethics while working in a team environment
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- This is a fixed term faculty position.
- This position reports to the Assistant Director of User Services.
- ALA accredited Master's degree in Library Science required
- Strong customer service orientation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated excellence in problem solving
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in interdisciplinary teams
- Ability to adapt quickly to and master new relevant technologies
- Willingness to collaborate and contribute to group processes
- Committed to a career in health sciences librarianship expressed through membership and participation in relevant professional organizations and activities.
- Ability to evaluate, learn and master new technologies quickly and efficiently
- Ability to teach adults one-on-one or in groups using a variety of educational methods.
- Knowledge of current health sciences information technologies
- Knowledge of current instructional technology and design techniques
- Experience working with current biomedical information resources
- Knowledge of current research design and methodology
- Experience performing high level systematic reviews
- Health sciences library experience or relevant course work in the health sciences
- Professional experience in an academic or health sciences library, or significant relevant course work in the health sciences
East Carolina University requires applicants to submit a candidate profile online in order to be considered for the position. In addition to submitting a candidate profile online, please submit online the required applicant documents:
- Curriculum Vitae,
- Letter of Interest,
- List of Three References (noting contact information)
East Carolina University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Visit Job Posting
Visit this job posting at: http://ecu.peopleadmin.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=75259