The mission of the college is to serve as a national model for transforming the health of rural underserved regions through excellence and innovation in nursing education, leadership, research, scholarship and practice.
East Carolina University College of Nursing will be nationally recognized for innovative programs in nursing education and collaborative, interdisciplinary partnerships that improve the way health care is provided in rural underserved communities as well as for research that advances nursing science. Our intent is to improve the health and well-being of citizens in the region and around the world.
The ECU College of Nursing believes:
These guiding principles form a belief system that is foundational to our programs.
- All people should be treated with respect, dignity, and compassion.
- Caring relationships are the core of nursing practice.
- The profession of nursing contributes to the health and well-being of individuals, families, organizations and communities.
- High-quality education, which includes both face-to-face and online learning, transforms lives.
- Students should be prepared to actively participate in a global community.
- Nursing practice and education should occur in a diverse and inclusive environment.
- Our tradition of service learning, community engagement and leadership provides a model for transforming the health of the region, nation and the world.
- Knowledge development and dissemination are our responsibility and commitment.
Strategic Planning and Leadership
For more information about the college's vision and goals, see
our current strategic plan.
Visit the ECU Faculty Senate website.