2017-2018 Application Process
This process will be updated by June 2017 to include full details. Applicants will apply directly to East Carolina University Graduate School, NOT to OTCAS. Please use GRE Code 5180.
Applications will include:
- Transcripts from ALL attended colleges and universities. Transcripts should be sent to East Carolina University, Graduate School Admissions, 131 Ragsdale, Greenville, NC, 27858-4353. Please do not send transcripts or other materials to the Department of Occupational Therapy, as this will delay your application process.
- GRE scores (code 5180) for quantitative, verbal, and writing (highest overall will be used)
- Three (3) references
- Essay - Applicants will be asked to respond in writing to essay prompts. The applicant's personal responses assist the Admissions Committee in determining if the applicant is a good fit for our program, faculty members, and perspective of occupational therapy. The brief responses should reflect genuine impressions about you as an individual and a future professional. A word limit has been established for each question. Spelling and grammar will be considered. Questions may change annually but past questions have included:
- Express your reason(s) for pursuing a graduate degree in occupational therapy.
- Explain why you believe East Carolina University's occupational therapy program is the right program for you.
- Describe your greatest achievement in scholarship, leadership, and/or service.
- Reflect on your personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Research is a component of our program. Describe what you believe can be your contribution in the program.
- Explain what occupational therapy means to you.
- Resume - a ONE-PAGE resume highlighting important experiences that MUST use the provided template and directions. The Admissions Committee is providing the resume template HERE (doc)
- Electronic Interview - This interview will require you to have access to a device with an internet connection and a camera/video recording feature with microphone. You will be given specific details at the time of your invitation. This interview will be a way to ask you questions and then you record your responses by video while not requiring an on-site interview. The responses will be reviewed after the submission deadline. We anticipate that the entire interview will take less than 30 minutes.
- Prerequisite Course Descriptions - Applicants will prepare a word document that includes the catalog course descriptions for all prerequisite courses.
- Prerequisite Course Listing and Grades - Applicants will complete a list of all prerequisite courses taken, number of semester hours, grade, and term/year taken
- An in-person application component may be required for an invited group of applicants.
- Please make sure the email you use for this application will remain current throughout the entire process and is one that you check on a regular basis!
For questions about the Graduate School application process, please contact the Graduate School at
firstname.lastname@example.org. Specific programmatic questions regarding East Carolina University's Occupational Therapy Program should be directed to
email@example.com or phone 252-744-6199.