East Carolina University Physical Therapy program participates in the Physical Therapy Centralized Application Service (PTCAS). The PTCAS cycle for 2016-2017 will open in July 2016 for the Class of 2020. To apply, visit https://portal.ptcas.org/.
ECU DPT program also requires that you apply to the ECU Graduate School. For application materials, visit ECU's Graduate School website. Please note the Graduate School has a processing fee payment. This fee is in addition to the PTCAS application fee.
The application deadline for the 2016-17 admission cycle is October 3, 2016 for both PTCAS and ECU Graduate School. We strongly encourage students to have applications submitted 2 weeks before this date.
ECU conducts personal interviews as part of the admission process. The Interview date is January 6, 2017.
At the time of application to the program, students must:
- Be eligible for admission to the Graduate School
- Four year degree or a senior on track to graduate from an accredited university or college with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Minimum prerequisites score - GPA of 3.0 - A Grade of 'C' or better is required in each prerequisite course.
- Present evidence that the required prerequisite course work will be completed before the start of the program in the summer. Applicants should have no more than two prerequisite courses left to complete in the spring semester of their application year.
- Have satisfactory Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores--verbal, quantitative and WRITING.
- Provide evidence of exposure to the practice of physical therapy. This activity must be supervised by a licensed physical therapist. A minimum of 100 hours is required. A variety of clinical experiences is suggested including: in-patient, out-patient, rehabilitation, long-term care, geriatrics, and pediatrics. This experience must be documented.
- Have two of the three letters of reference be completed by licensed Physical Therapist who supervised the applicant's PT experience
- Completed application submitted to PTCAS
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate studies
- Official GRE scores (ECU’s PTCAS code is 7565)
- Three letters of reference must be sent to PTCAS. Two of them must be from a licensed Physical Therapist who supervised your PT experience.
Supplemental Requirements to complete your application:
- Complete ECU Graduate application and payment submitted to ECU Graduate School
- Prerequisite Evaluation
All of the supplemental forms are located on this webpage.
The Department of Physical Therapy at East Carolina University requests that all students wishing to transfer into our program complete the admissions applications for PTCAS and the ECU Graduate School. Transfer students will be treated as all other new applicants seeking entrance into our program and will have to complete all courses required of the PT program at ECU.
Tuition at East Carolina University is considerably less expensive for North Carolina residents. The Department of Physical Therapy is not able to make rulings on residency status. The Registrar at East Carolina University makes these decisions. Out-of-state students who wish to become residents of North Carolina should go to the ECU Registrar for details www.ecu.edu/registrar/residency.cfm
Admission preference is given to North Carolina residents.
Required undergraduate prerequisite courses:
- General chemistry (I & II), 8 semester hours with lab (CHEM 1150,1151,1160,1161)
- General physics (I & II), 8 semester hours with lab (PHYS 1250,1251,1260,1261)
- Biology, 12 semester hours to include:
- 8 hours of biology (I & II) plus 1 semester of human or mammalian physiology with lab OR
- 4 hours of biology (BIOL 1100, 1101) plus 2 semesters of human physiology and anatomy with lab (BIOL 2140, 2141, 2150, 2151)
- College algebra or higher
- Statistics (Students must take the statistics course from the math department at their institution. Exercise science statistics courses are not acceptable.)
- Psychology, 6 semester hours to include general psychology
*AP Class will receive credit for the prerequisite list if it appears on a transcript, however the course will not be considered in the GPA calculation.
The above courses must be taken through their respective departments unless prior agreement has been made with the Department of Physical Therapy.
Prerequisite Course Numbers for Other North Carolina Universities (xlsx)
For more information regarding prerequisite courses, please email ECUDPT@ecu.edu
Admission requirements are subject to change without prior notice.