Doctor of Physical Therapy Program

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you accept online classes for DPT pre-requisites?

We do accept science classes that have been taken on-line, but the labs have to be in-person, face to face. NO on-line labs.

Do you require a statement of purpose?

Yes, you must submit a statement of purpose, this is in the PTCAS application under the specific questions to be complete. You should address your academic and professional goals and why you are seeking instruction in the DPT program. The narrative should also include a description of your expectations of the program, as well as any related qualifications that you possess, including talents, skills (e.g., computer literacy, etc.), collegiate and professional accomplishments, community activities, and any other substantial personal achievements. This is an opportunity for you to demonstrate your writing skills. Statement of Purpose MUST be limited to 600 words.

How many reference letters do you require?

We require three reference letters. Two reference letters should be from licensed physical therapists who have observed you during your 100 hours. The third is a general reference. PTAs are accepted as a general reference only. There are no exceptions to this rule. These are submitted to PTCAS.

Where can I find the reference form?

This form is located within the PTCAS application and should be submitted to PTCAS.

Where should I submit my transcripts?

All are submitted to PTCAS.

How are multiple GRE scores used?

We take the highest score of each section. For example on the 1st GRE test you scored 160 on Verbal , 145 on Quantitative, and 3.5 on Writing, on the 2nd GRE test you score 153 on Verbal, 150 on Quantitative and 4 on Writing. We would take the 160 on Verbal from the 1st test, 150 from the 2nd test and 4 on writing from the second test.

How do the new GRE scores equate to the old GRE scores?

Please visit for GRE score equivalence.

How much is tuition and fees?

Tuition and fees can be found at Under the heading Main Campus select the semester you will be attending, then scroll down to Graduate School.

How often do you accept students per year?

We only accept students one time per year. Students who are accepted start the 11 week summer session, which starts in May. 

How many students apply to the DPT program each year? 

On average we have 220 students to apply each year.

How many students do you accept each year?

We accept 30 students each year to begin in the 11 week summer session in May.

What is the average GRE score for students who are admitted into the DPT program?

The average GRE score is 310.

What are the average overall GPA and pre-requisite GPA of students who are admitted?

The average overall GPA of our students is a 3.72 and pre-requisite GPA is 3.69.

Do you accept Organic Chemistry for a pre-requisite for Chemistry?

No, we do not.

Do you accept Genetics for a pre-requisite for Biology?

No, we do not.

Do you accept Psychology or exercise science statistics courses for the pre-requisite statistics course?

We accept psychology statistics courses. We do not accept exercise science statistics courses.

How do my observation hours need to be listed?

Observation hours need to be documented on the form within the PTCAS application. These hours should be recorded as of the date you apply. This needs to be a numerical number. We will not accept 2 semesters or still observing. You need to have a minimum of 100 hours of observation completed at the time you apply. This form can be found within the PTCAS application.

How do I know if a pre-requisite class will be counted at ECU as the equivalent course?

If you go to the ECU website, click on pirate port (under Quick Links on the right hand side), under Public applications, click on ECU course equivalence, then search for the State and then College or University and course number. If it is not listed on these pages, then the course will need to be reviewed or looked up on the internet to determine if you will receive credit for that course. Please email with your questions.

Do you give preference to in-state students?

Yes, in-state students are given preference over out-of-state students. We accept one to two out-of-state students each academic year out of 30 overall students.

Do you prefer students have a specific undergraduate degree or does one degree weigh more heavily than another?

No, we do not have a preferred undergraduate degree. In the past, students coming from a health related degree seem to do better in our classes than those of non-health related degrees.

What is the policy for grade replacements?

You may grade replace one class per content area without penalty. This means one Biology, one Chemistry, one Physics, and one Math, Psychology, or Statistics can be grade replaced. Any additional course will be averaged for your grade.

Can I take classes at a community college?

We accept credits from any regionally accredited school in the US. Taking community college courses will not diminish an applicant's chances of being accepted to our program.

Is there a time limit for prerequisites?

There are no time limits for prerequisite courses; however, it is advised that you audit a course that was taken more than 10 years ago

Do you have information sessions I can attend?

Yes, we usually have one information session monthly for our program. On our webpage please click on the box named Information Session. This will give you the dates and times that the sessions are being offered.

How many volunteer hours do I need to qualify for admission?

A minimum of 100 hours is required. Provide evidence of exposure to the practice of physical therapy. This activity must be supervised by a licensed physical therapist. A variety of clinical experiences is suggested including: inpatient, out-patient, rehabilitation, long-term care, geriatrics, and pediatrics. This experience must be documented.

Does the program require an onsite interview for acceptance?


Does the program require a background check prior to admission?

Yes. Most clinical sites require background checks for students to participate in clinical education. Information is provided to accepted/deposited students regarding procedures for this process.

Military personnel state of residency

Military personnel stationed in NC or dependents of NC personnel stationed in NC may apply for the military waiver benefit by submitting an application and supporting documentation. This benefit does not award the student in-state status but it does allow them military status and tuition at the in-state rate.

Who do I contact about questions for the DPT program?

You can email with any questions