Before surgery is scheduled at Vidant Medical Center, you will bring your child in for a preoperative evaluation. At this time the surgeon and surgical team will review your child's medical history, medications, and any test results and/or radiology studies. Your child will also undergo a complete physical exam to check her current health.
If your child requires surgery, the surgeon will discuss the operation and give you time to ask any questions you may have. The surgeon's office staff may also be able to answer your questions about insurance coverage, and how to go about getting pre-approval for your child's operation.
When your child comes for his/her first visit, please bring:
- His/Her complete medical history (your child's doctor can send this in advance)
- A list of all medications your child is taking, or has recently taken, including prescription and over-the-counter
- A list of all allergies your child has (especially latex allergy)
- His/Her insurance card, as well as any referrals he/she may need
- Guardianship papers, if necessary
- Consultation letters from other specialists your child may see
- Current lab results, if any
- Copies of any X-rays, CT scans or MRI scans your child has already had (computer disc preferred), if any
During your visit we will let you know of any additional lab work, radiology studies, vaccines or medicines your child will need before surgery. Then, before you leave, you will be able to schedule the date for your child's surgery. If you need a room at The Ronald McDonald House the night before your child's surgery, or during your child's recovery, please let us know when you schedule the surgical date.