Welcome to the East Carolina University School of Medicine Department of Surgery Resident Application Page. We are currently using only the electronic application process through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) created by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC).
Applicants for categorical and preliminary positions must utilize the ERAS system for data collection and transmission. Deadline for receipt of materials is December 1st. We expect that applicants will submit applications to us through ERAS in timely fashion because our interview schedule will begin in October. East Carolina University, Department of Surgery requires the documents listed below for full consideration.
All Applicants (apply through ERAS):
- Common Application Form
- CV report
- Personal statement
- Medical School Transcript
- Dean’s letter
- Two letters of recommendation
- USMLE transcripts for Step I; Step II immediately upon receipt of score report
- Photograph (optional)
International Medical Graduates:
- Currently valid ECFMG Certificate
- J1 is the ONLY visa sponsored
Answers to Common Questions:
- Applications reviewed through ERAS ONLY
- Medical Students with USMLE Scores above 230 are encouraged to apply
- Surgery Positions: 5 categorical, 3 non-designated preliminaries
- US clinical experience not required
- No specific work requirements
- No walk-ins, faxes, e-mail, or mailed application/information
- No graduation cut off
- Interviews are by invitation only. Invitation will be sent via e-mail by the coordinator
- Interviews will begin in October and end in January
- Phone calls/e-mails regarding status of application or addition(s) to application will NOT be accepted
We consider each applicant as an individual and attempt to determine an applicant’s ability to fit in our residency program.
To submit your application through ERAS click here.Should you have any questions or concerns about the application process specifically for East Carolina University please contact Surgical Education at email email@example.com or phone number 252.744.5069. For general questions about the application process visit the ERAS website. Thank you for your interest in East Carolina University.
Our Residency Coordinator contact is:
Our Program Director is Claudia Goettler, M.D.
East Carolina University is committed to equality of educational opportunity and does not discriminate against applicants, students, or employees based on race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age,sexual orientation, or disability.
An equal opportunity/affirmative action university, which accommodates the needs of individuals with disabilities.