What are the requirements for our program?
Before considering weight-loss surgery, there are a few important considerations.
Candidates for this surgery should
- weigh 100 pounds more than an ideal body weight or have a body mass index (BMI) of greater than 40. Calculate your BMI here.
- or have a body mass index of 35 or more with weight-related health problems
- be 18 years or older
- have tried to lose weight without success
- have health complications
- be aware of the expected life changes
- understand the surgery and its risks
- plan to follow diet and exercise guidelines for the rest of your life
While there are many benefits, weight-loss surgery is a major, irreversible operation. It’s important to understand the risks. Your doctor and medical team will talk with you about them. After your procedure, your life and your diet will change, too. You can read about these changes under “What can I expect after my surgery?”