Faculty and Staff:
Sign Up to Receive Emergency Notification Text Messages
East Carolina University uses SMS cell phone text messaging as part of its emergency notification system.
This service is optional, and is provided as a free service to those who would like to receive emergency messages on their SMS text-message capable cell phone, in addition to the traditional means of email and Alert pop-up screens.
A new text messaging system will be implemented in late April 2013. At that time, Faculty and Staff who have already registered to receive cell phone Alerts will be automatically transitioned over to the new system. During this transition those individuals in the current ECU Alert system will receive a re-subscription text message. By simply replying back to the message following the instructions received in the text, the subscriber will be registered for the new system.
It is important that all staff and faculty have a cell phone number in ECU's Banner System in order to receive Alert notifications. If you do not currently receive ECU Alerts on your cell phone, please follow the steps below to register.
How to Register Your Cell Phone for ECU ALERT Messages
To receive emergency text messages on a cell phone, you will need to provide a cell phone number through OneStop: http://onestop.ecu.edu
By providing a cell phone number students are consenting to ECU sharing this information with the ECU service provider for the sole purpose of providing ECU’s emergency notification text messaging system. No advertising is sent through the system. The service is free unless the cell phone service plan does not include free incoming text messages. Participation is optional.
To sign up, go to Onestop then click "personalize” next to the "logout" link. Then select “mobile settings" on the left side of the page.
1.) Enter your cell phone number (number is pre-populated if already in Banner)
2.) Select your carrier (ie AT&T, Verizon, etc.)
3.) A PIN is immediately sent to the entered cell phone number via SMS text.
4.) Once you receive your PIN, return to OneStop and enter the PIN in the space provided.
5.) Once the correct PIN is entered a "welcome" message is sent to your phone, and you’re all set!
If you have questions about the ECU Alert notification system, email ECUAlertInfo@ecu.edu.
HAVING PROBLEMS REGISTERING YOUR CELL PHONE?
If you have difficulty using the OneStop registration, you can update your contact information using Banner Self-Service. Your “primary cell phone” number needs to be entered following the instructions below.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SELF-SERVICE BANNER
Please realize that updating the database of cell phone numbers at the present time is not automatic, but is manually updated on a monthly basis. If you have concerns about an incident or status of classes, visit the ECU Alert web site: http://www.ecu.edu/alert as another source of information.
- Go to OneStop: onestop.ecu.edu and log in using your Pirate ID and password.
- Select “Banner Self Service.”
- Select “Personal Information.”
- Select “Update Addresses and Phones.”
- In the "Home Address - Permanent" section, and click on “Primary" located under the "Phones” column. The "Update Addresses and Phones - Update/Insert" page will appear.
- Scroll down toward the bottom of this page until you see a column labeled “Phone Type.” Using the drop down menu, select “Primary Cell Phone Number” from the list of options.
- On that same line, enter the area code and cell phone number (no hyphen) if you would like to receive campus emergency information via text message. (Your standard text messaging rates will apply.)
- If you do NOT want your cell phone number to be published in a directory, click the box in the “Unlisted” column. (A checkmark will appear.)
- Select “Submit” to accept the updates or changes.