What is ECU ALERT?
ECU ALERT is a collection of communication tools the university uses to distribute emergency notification and information. It is only used for emergencies and occasional required testing. It allows the University to send Emergency notification by
- ECU Alert Web page. This is the most current and detailed source for situational information. Initial and updated information will be posted here throughout an emergency. During an emergency, a red bar linked to this page will appear on the ECU home page. Look for this red bar as an indicator of emergency information.
- Email - this is your ECU Pirate e-mail account.
- PC Pop-up box. Click the ALERT icon to see the Alert Pop-up box work. All university configured PC's are loaded with this software. The software for receiving pop-up boxes and ALERT e-mail can be downloaded to your personal computer from the "Register to receive ECU ALERTS" on the side bar to the left. Unfortunately, this service is not available for Apple computers.
- ECU Hotlines
- ECU Faculty, Staff, and Students: 252-328-0062 (All Campuses)
- ECU Physician's Staff: 252-744-5080 or 800-754-5181
- Outdoor and indoor speakers. Click the speaker icon to hear an example of a speaker notification.
- IP phone speaker interface (voice & text)
- Digital LCD/Plasma screen messages.
- Twitter - Follow ECU ALERT on Twitter.com
- Cell phone text messaging- you must register for this free service. See terms of service on the left hand side bar.
Important Notice: Text messaging is not a dependable source for ECU emergency information. In an emergency, ECU will send out text messages in a timely manner. However, ECU does not have control of when your service provider will deliver the message to your device. Delivery from your provider may be delayed minutes to hours from the time ECU sends the text. Text messages are only used for serious emergencies and not for follow up information unless it is needed for public safety. Depend on Alert Web page, e-mail, hotlines and other more reliable sources for emergency information.
The ECU ALERT
web page is the primary location for emergency news and situational updates. Should you hear the outdoor speakers or other notification devices activate but do not hear them clearly, ECU ALERT web page is the best source of factual information.
When is ECU Alert used?
ECU ALERT will be used whenever there is a need to push critical information to the University population. For some incidents, like a crime committed off campus, that doesn't threaten ECU but may require ECU to notify the campus community for awareness purposes, only ECU ALERT e-mail is used. For other incidents such as ECU canceling classes due to severe weather, e-mail, pop-up box, & SMS text messaging will be used. For very serious incidents, continuing threats or life threatening situations, notification will be distributed using many or all methods of communication as quickly as possible.