In 2011, Roger W.R. Sears of Moyock, who opened the first dentist office in Kitty Hawk, gave his collection of dental artifacts to the Country Doctor Museum. The dental instruments, supplies and equipment originally were owned and used by Dr. Samuel B. Milford at his office in Poolesville, Md, where he practiced more than 50 years.
Items on exhibit include Milford’s examination chair (ca. 1900), dental cabinet, and various dental instruments. The collection of dental objects helps to show the growth and development of dental medicine over time and attests to the commitment of the two dentists to their chosen field and the communities in which they lived.
For information on the items in the Sears collection, go to http://digital.lib.ecu.edu