Special Education - Adapted, BS
1. Foundations curriculum requirements including those listed below - 42 s.h.
(For information about courses that carry foundations curriculum credit see .)
- ART 3850 - Art in the Elementary School
- COMM 2410 - Public Speaking
- MATH 2127 - Basic Concepts of Mathematics
- MATH 1065 - College Algebra
- MUSC 3048 - Music for Exceptional Children
- PSYC 1000 - Introductory Psychology
- PSYC 2777 - Ethnocultural Psychology
2. Professional studies - 25 s.h.
- EDTC 4001 - Technology in Education
- EDUC 3200 - Foundations of American Education
- EDUC 4400 - Foundations of School Learning, Motivation, and Assessment
- PSYC 4305 - Educational Psychology
- READ 3301 - Reading Instruction in the Primary Grades
- SPED 2123 - Early Experiences for Prospective Teachers
- SPED 4320 - Communication and Collaboration in Special Education
- SPED 4324 - Internship in Special Education
3. Core - 45 s.h.
- ASLS 2020 - Sign Language Studies I
- CSDI 2100 - Introduction to Communication Disorders
- KINE 5303 - Physical Activity Programs for Individuals with Developmental, Emotional, and Learning Disabilities
- SPED 2000 - Introduction to Exceptional Children
- SPED 2200 - Introduction to Students with Disabilities in the Adapted Curriculum
- SPED 2209 - Introductory Practicum with Students with Disabilities in the Adapted Curriculum
- SPED 3001 - Assessing Students with Disabilities
- SPED 3004 - Managing the Learning Environment
- SPED 3005 - Instructional Programming in Special Education
- SPED 3006 - Augmentative and Alternative Communication for Students with Disabilities
- SPED 3007 - Managing the Physical Needs of Learners with Disabilities
- SPED 3200 - Instructional Methods for Students with Disabilities in the Adapted Curriculum
- SPED 3209 - Instructional Practicum for Students with Disabilities in the Adapted Curriculum
- SPED 4000 - Technology in Special Education
- SPED 4200 - Special Issues and Strategies for Students with Disabilities in the Adapted Curriculum
- SPED 4300 - Practicum in Special Education
- RCTX 2230 - Recreational Therapy Foundations
4. Cognates - 14 s.h.
- LING 4710 - TESOL Theories and Principles
- MATE 3050 - Mathematics and Methods for Grades Pre-K-2
- MATE 3051 - Field Experience in Mathematics Grades K-2
- MATE 3060 - Mathematics and Methods for Grades 3-6
- SCIE 3216 - Teaching Science in the Elementary School
5. Electives to complete requirements for graduation.
The Academic Concentration is not required for SPED majors.