Special Education - General, BS
1. Foundations curriculum requirements including those listed below - 42 s.h.
(For information about courses that carry foundations curriculum credit see )
- ART 3850 - Art in the Elementary School
- COMM 2410 - Public Speaking
- COMM 2420 - Business and Professional Communication
- MATH 2127 - Basic Concepts of Mathematics
- MATH 1065 - College Algebra
- MUSC 3048 - Music for Exceptional Children
- PSYC 1000 - Introductory Psychology
- PSYC 2777 - Ethnocultural Psychology
2. Professional studies - 25 s.h.
- EDTC 4001 - Technology in Education
- EDUC 3200 - Foundations of American Education
- EDUC 4400 - Foundations of School Learning, Motivation, and Assessment
- PSYC 4305 - Educational Psychology
- READ 3301 - Reading Instruction in the Primary Grades
- SPED 2123 - Early Experiences for Prospective Teachers
- SPED 4320 - Communication and Collaboration in Special Education
- SPED 4324 - Internship in Special Education
3. Core - 30 s.h.
- SPED 2000 - Introduction to Exceptional Children
- SPED 2100 - Introduction to Students with Disabilities in the General Curriculum
- SPED 2109 - Introductory Practicum with Students with Disabilities in the General Curriculum
- SPED 3001 - Assessing Students with Disabilities
- SPED 3004 - Managing the Learning Environment
- SPED 3005 - Instructional Programming in Special Education
- SPED 3100 - Instructional Methods for Students with Disabilities in the General Curriculum
- SPED 3109 - Instructional Practicum for Exceptional Children in the General Curriculum
- SPED 4000 - Technology in Special Education
- SPED 4100 - Issues and Strategies for Students with Disabilities in the General and Adapted Curricula
- SPED 4300 - Practicum in Special Education
4. Cognates - 11 s.h.
- MATE 3050 - Mathematics and Methods for Grades Pre-K-2
- MATE 3051 - Field Experience in Mathematics Grades K-2
- MATE 3060 - Mathematics and Methods for Grades 3-6
- SCIE 3216 - Teaching Science in the Elementary School
5. Academic concentration
6. Reading License - 21-24 s.h.
7. Electives to complete requirements for graduation.