Licensure Upgrading Forms
GRADUATE DEGREE STUDENTS
(MAED, MLS, MM, MS, MSA, EDS/CAS, EDD)
Forms U and V are needed for upgrading to a higher level
- Complete all of Form U, ignoring the Superintendent’s signature line. Check “Other” and write “upgrading to” at the appropriate level (M, 6th year, or doctorate level). The fee is required.
- If you are upgrading and clearing a provisional, check “Clearing a Provisional Area”, listing license area to be cleared.Also check “Other” and write “upgrading to” at the appropriate level (M, 6th year, or doctorate level) and the license area. No fee is required to clear a provisional in the areas of School Counseling, Media Coordinator or School Psychology.
- On Form V, complete the top section and the block on the left, checking the degree level and listing the license area (EX.Media Coord., Middle Grades-Math, Severe Profound) only, not your degree. Do not sign this form.
Forms A and V are needed for an initial (1st) license at graduate level (counselor, media coordinator, school psychology--no previous NC license).
- Complete all of Form A. The fee is required.
- On Form V, complete the top section and the block on the left, checking the degree level and listing the license area (EX.Counselor, Media Coord., or School Psyc) only, not your degree. Do not sign this form.
- You should include your bachelor degree transcript with your application, if received at an institution other than ECU.
As a degree seeking student, you do not need to submit a graduate level transcript. As long as you apply to graduate,transcripts are automatically forwarded to the Office of Teacher Education by the Registrar’s Office. The license fee is a total of $55. Submit the appropriate two (2) forms, PRAXIS II score (if applicable)**, and a $55 check payable to SDPI (if applicable) or the Credit Card Form directly to:
Office of Teacher Education
Greenville, NC 27858
GRADUATE NON-DEGREE OR POST BACH STUDENTS
Forms U and V are needed if you are adding on to an existing license or clearing a provisional area as a graduate non-degree student or post bach student
- Complete all of Form U, ignoring the Superintendent’s signature line. If you are adding on an area to an existing license,check “Other” and list the license area you are adding. The fee is required.
- If you have a provisional license, check “Clearing a Provisional” listing the license area. No fee is required to clear a provisional, if cleared prior to the expiration date.
- On Form V, complete the top section and the block on the right, checking the level, listing the license area (EX. Media Coord., MG-Math, Severe Profound). Do not sign this form.
Forms A and V are needed if you currently hold a master’s degree and you are taking courses as a graduate non-degree student to receive your initial (1st) license. This normally applies only to students in the areas of counseling, library studies or school psychology.
You must supply an official transcript to your departmental office, along with Forms V and U, a copy of your PRAXIS II score, if applicable**, and a $55 check payable to SDPI or the Credit Card Form, if required. You may send a written request to ECU,Transcript’s Office, 103 Whichard Bldg., Greenville, NC 27858 for a transcript at no cost, IF you include the statement “the transcript is for the purpose of my NC teaching/administrative license, which will be sent to DPI by the Office of Teacher Education”. Otherwise, you will be charged. The transcript should go to you to include in the packet that your departmental advisor will forward to the Office of Teacher Education when you have completed all requirements.
If applicable, ONE $55 fee with the two(2) appropriate forms. There is no additional fee for a name change when submitting the one $55 fee. Appropriate documentation is needed. See instructions on Form U.
**Individuals seeking a license in an exceptional children’s area other than the current license held must take the appropriate PRAXIS test(s). Individuals seeking an elementary license must take the elementary PRAXIS test, if not presently licensed in elementary. If you have questions, please contact your advisor in the program area.**