Lateral Entry

Contact Us:

Office of Alternative Licensure

109 Speight Building
College of Education
East Carolina University
Greenville, NC 27858
Fax: 252-737-2998

Individual Lateral Entry

The Individual Lateral Entry pathway to teaching is for students who have a degree from a regionally accredited university and are currently employed as teacher of record in a public school or public charter school in North Carolina. In this option, the teaching job is your experience and there is no internship requirement. The Lateral Entry programs will vary by content area. The length of the program will depend on your background in the content area and how many courses you are willing to take each semester. However, all coursework and licensure requirements MUST be completed by the end of your third year of teaching. Lateral Entry Teachers are responsible for securing their own teaching position and will be teaching while they complete their licensure coursework. Failure to maintain employment in the licensure area will result in re-classification as a Licensure Only student and will result in additional coursework. Students must take classes each semester in order to maintain eligibility to register. Should you skip a semester, you will be required to be re-admitted to the university.

Licensure Area Licensure Only Individual Lateral Entry NCTEACH Master of Arts in Teaching
Art K-12  
Dance K-12    
Elementary K-6  
English 9-12  
Family and Consumer Science 7-12  
French K-12    
German K-12    
Health/Physical Education K-12  
Hispanic Studies    
History/Social Studies 9-12  
Math 9-12    
Middle Grades: Lang. Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies  
Music K-12  
Science 9-12  
Special Education General Curriculum
Special Education Adaptive Curriculum
Theatre K-12    


The areas listed are the most feasible to complete through the Individual Lateral Entry Pathway. Other areas may be options depending on your undergraduate degree and licensure area of interest.

To help you through the program, from the application process to final licensure, use the Lateral Entry Step-by-Step Guide.