Licensure Only programs will vary by content area. The length of a Licensure Only program will depend on your background in the content area and how many courses you are willing to take each semester. Students must take classes each semester in order to maintain eligibility to register. Should you skip a semester, you will be required to be re-admitted to the university.
Typical Licensure Only plan consists of:
- Teacher Education Professional Studies Coursework (typically 15-18 semester hours)
- Content-Area Coursework (specific to each individual based on a transcript evaluation
- You will be fully trained before you enter the classroom
- You can take as long as you need to complete the licensure requirements
- Previous education courses may count towards your licensure requirements
- PRAXIS II subject area tests are NOT required for Licensure Only with the exception of:
- Elementary Education
- Exceptional Children General and Adaptive
- BK if you are teaching K
- Individuals with less than 24 semester hours of core coursework
Program Consideration Procedures:
Secure 1 copy of all official transcripts (undergraduate and any post-baccalaureate coursework).
Send your official transcripts and a letter requesting a Licensure Only plan with your desired area of licensure AND personal contact information (address, phone, email) to:
Office of Alternative Licensure
College of Education
109 Speight Building
East Carolina University
Greenville, NC 27858
Once your transcripts have been evaluated your Licensure Only plan will be mailed to you (usually within 2-3 weeks). You can then choose whether or not you wish to affiliate with ECU and enroll in the program (see Licensure Only Plan Step-by-Step Guide).
You will need Adobe Reader to view the page. It can be downloaded for free by clicking here.