College of Education Menu

ECU cannot confirm whether any of its courses or programs meet requirements for professional licensure outside of the State of North Carolina. ECU strongly encourages students to contact applicable licensing boards in states they wish to pursue licensure prior to seeking admission or beginning study in an academic program.

Lateral Entry

Lateral Entry Teachers are individuals employed in a North Carolina school system that hold at least a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution in the subject area they are employed to teach.

Lateral Entry Teachers are responsible for securing their own teaching position and will be teaching while they complete their licensure coursework. Failure to secure a teaching position will result in re-classification as Licensure only and may require additional coursework.

Qualifications for Lateral Entry in North Carolina

North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (DPI)

Requirements for Lateral Entry

Either: AND One of the Following:
Relevant Degree
2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale
24 Semester Hours of course work in core area
Passing scores on Praxis I tests PLUS one of the following:
  • GPA of 3.0 in the major field of study
  • GPA of 3.0 in all courses in senior year
  • GPA of 3.0 in a minimum of 15 semester hours of courses (relating to teaching subject/area of licensure) completed within the last five years
Passing score on the
Praxis II subject area test(s)
for the area of licensure
Five years of relevant experience that occurred after Bachelor's degree (as determined by LEA and DPI)


To qualify for lateral entry license in Elementary Education or Exceptional Children (Teacher of Record), the PRAXIS II subject assessment MUST be met prior to employment.

To qualify for a lateral entry license in English As a Second Language you must have either 24 semester hours in English, a degree in English or the PRAXIS II.