Requirements for BS in History, Secondary Education
Students, who expect to complete the requirements for a BS degree in History, Secondary Education, must complete 128 semester hours. This requirement includes foundation curriculum requirements (42 semester hours), foreign language (12 semester hours), cognates (may count toward the foundation curriculum and social science requirements-27 semester hours), core history curriculum courses and upper level (above 2999) history electives (33 semester hours), and professional education courses (26 semester hours).
Before submitting the internship application and beginning the year-long internship experience in Senior I and II, and before enrolling in selected professional education courses, all students must be admitted to the Upper Division of teacher education. Application for admission can be during the second semester of the sophomore year or first/second semesters of the junior year. Students typically fill out the application during HIED 2123. Transfer students must have completed at least one semester at East Carolina University before they are eligible to apply.
Admission to Upper Division
To be admitted to upper division, you must complete the following:
- Pass HIED 2123, Early Experience for the Prospective Teacher, with at least a “C.”
- Pass Praxis I: Reading, Writing, Mathematics. For more Praxis Information, including registration information, visit www.ets.org/praxis/or call 756-0342.
- If you score higher than 550 on the verbal or math SAT, you do not have to take the corresponding section(s) of the Praxis I. If you score 1100 or higher on the SAT, you do not have to take any parts of Praxis I.
- Complete the essay (Why I want to be a teacher) and program area upper division interview, during HIED 2123.
- Complete ASIP 2000 or a related computer competency course, or pass the computer competency challenge exam.
- You must also have a GPA of at least 2.5 on the 4.0 scale for all college work attempted at ECU.
You can confirm your admittance to upper division on Onestop (or, possibly in the near future, on Banner). If you have any questions concerning your upper division status, contact your advisor.
B.S. Degree Requirements Check Sheet
Click here to download the file.
Course Sequence Sheet
Click here to download the file
You will need Adobe Reader to view these files. Click here to download it for free.