Betty Abernathy Scholarship
The Abernathy scholarship is a four year $20,000 scholarship awarded to an outstanding high school senior with a demonstrated commitment to the study of and a career in science education. The scholarship is modeled after the ECU Maynard Scholarship and as so, recipients will have a required on campus living component for the freshmen year, a four year programmatic component, and specific criteria for receiving funds.
- Must have a minimum score of 1,000 on the SAT or 22 on the ACT
- Must have an unweighted GPA of 3.0 or better
- Must be admitted to East Carolina University
- Must intend to teach science or math education upon completion of an undergraduate program
- Must provide high school transcript from 1st semester of Senior Year (if you can't obtain this by the application deadline, this may be brought to the interview, as long as you note this on the application)
- Must include typed essay, addressing the prompt listed on the application below
- Must provide at least two letters of recommendation from someone in your high school or community.
These letters must speak about your academics or character and must be signed and sealed in an envelope and brought to the campus interview.
- Go to ECU's Academic Works Website at
https://ecu.academicworks.com and complete an online application. If you are eligible for this scholarship, you must click on other opportunities.
Deadline - Scholarship Applications will close at Midnight on January 15, 2016.
- Will be conducted at ECU on
Saturday, February 11, 2017 and
Saturday, February 18, 2017 (interview times will be assigned by the Education Scholars office).
- Applicants selected for an interview will be notified by email and mail.