Abbie Brown, PhD, is an Associate Professor, teaching in the Instructional Technology program. His research and teaching focuses on online distance education, instructional media production, and the professional development of instructional designers. He has received awards for teaching and scholarship from organizations that include The New Jersey Department of Education, California State University, and The North Carolina Distance Learning Association. He is also the author of numerous articles and books including, The Essentials of Instructional Design (Allyn & Bacon, publishers).
- Online distance education
- Instructional media production and use
- Professional development of educators and instructional designers
- Editor-in-chief of the journal, TechTrends
- Mentor to other university faculty interested in improving their online teaching skills
- East Carolina University Treasured Pirate, recognizing special or unique contributions to one's college/unit or to the University.
- Excellence in Distance Learning Teaching
Awarded for podcasting accomplishments. North Carolina Distance Learning Association.