Dr. Miles has served as a coordinator of several outreach programs for students and teachers for over 15 years. She recently served as the coordinator of the TechMath professional development program from 2006-2010 funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF). This program involved forming a partnership with businesses, colleges, universities and school systems in rural northeastern North Carolina. The products of the partnerships were instructional modules which incorporated and modeled solutions to local, real-world business problems. The TechMath objectives focused on impacting a high percentage of under-served, under-represented 6-12 grade students from 12 school districts in rural northeastern North Carolina, and improving instruction and student attitudes about Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) careers. Teachers and students designed and implemented instructional modules with the help of business partner representatives and members of the TechMath staff. She has also been the Principal Investigator and Director of the East Carolina Reach Up program from 2002-2010. The goal of the Reach Up program was to motivate minority students to consider careers in a STEM-related discipline. Dr. Miles has published the success of the impact of science enrichment programs on minority students in journals such as the Science Teacher, Teachers Educator Journal, Electronic Journal of Science Education, Science Scope and has also presented her research findings related to the affect of science enrichment programs at over 10 state, national, and international organizational conferences.
- Science education
- Equity in Education
- African-American Achievement in Science
- Facilitator of science activities and instruction for Pitt County students participating in Delta Academy/Delta GEMS programs
- Organized science and other activities for multiple groups, including Jabbowock of the Greenville, NC Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated; Eastern North Carolina Jack and Jill Incorporated; and the Pitt County 4H All stars.
- Coordinator of tutorial instruction in mathematics and science for Pitt County students participating in Delta Academy Delta GEMS program, the Reach Up program, and Cornerstone Missionary Baptist Church Leadership Academy
- Coordinator of the TechMath professional development program from 2006-2010 funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Director of the East Carolina Reach Up program from 2002-2010 funded Z. Smith Reynolds Inc. and Glaxo-Smith-Kline Ribbon of Hope Foundation
- Pearls and Rubies Honoree Sigma Gamma Rho 2005