Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) in Science Education

The MAT in Science Education degree program is designed for persons with an undergraduate degree in one of the sciences (biology, biochemistry, chemistry, physics, geology, life science, natural science, physical science, or earth science) who are interested in earning a teaching license and graduate degree in order to teach at the high school level. The goal of the program is to develop science instructors who have a strong background in science with advanced, graduate level academic training in science education. The program seeks to develop high school teachers who are capable of improving the quality of science teaching and learning for all students through the setting of high standards of learning and the use of research-based instructional strategies and reflective teacher research practices. The program consists of 39 semester hours of coursework including a full semester internship.

The program consists of 33 semester-hours of coursework including core graduate courses in science education (12-hours), science (18-hours), and a thesis (3-hours), which generally takes candidates two to three years to complete. The MA degree is appropriate for science teachers licensed at the “A” level and interested in pursuing advanced licensure (i.e., “M” level licensure).  

Core Requirements in Science Education: 12 s.h. SCIE 6020, SCIE 6310, SCIE 6500, SCIE 6600

Core Requirements in Science: 18 s.h. hours taken from any graduate level BIOL, CHEM, PHYS, or SCIE

Research in Science Education: 3 s.h. SCIE 7000: Thesis

Advising Guide

Course Rotation

You are almost finished with your MAT in Science Education! There are a number of important processes, however, that must take place in addition to successfully completing your course work. Within the first two weeks of the semester in which you intend to graduate, you should apply for graduation, using the form and instructions found below. Then there is a graduate summary that must be completed – work on that with your faculty advisor and finish that by or before mid-semester. Finally, you will want to apply to have your license updated. Complete this paperwork near the end of the semester in which you are graduating.

Apply for Graduation

  • For instructions, go to Academic Policies and click on Graduation Process. To access the application, go to ECU Registrar, click on requested forms, and then on Graduate Graduation Application.
  • Complete the Graduate Summary

  • Go to Academic Policies and click on Graduation Process and Graduation Summary Form.
  • Process the Licensure Request

  • Go to Licensure, read the instructions, and download the appropriate forms.

Do you have any further questions or need help locating something? Contact us:

Dr. Ron Preston
Director of Students Department of Mathematics, Science, and Instructional Technology Education
East Carolina University Mail Stop 566 Greenville, NC 27858 Phone:252-328-9355