Secondary Science Education Degree Program 

Preparing students for higher education and the future can seem like a daunting task. With our Science Education program, you will be provided with the skills needed to not only promote student success from grades seven through twelve, but also the ability to prepare adolescents for careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) and also guide them to be 21st century leaders.  Students concentrate their studies in Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Earth Science.  Completion of this program will earn you a Bachelors of Science in Science Education.  

All high school science teachers take general Science Education courses and then also choose one or more concentrations.

Science education courses:

EDUC 3200, EDUC 4400, SCIE 5010, SCIE 4323, SCIE 4324, SCIE 4325, READ 3990, SPED 2010, ASIP 2000, BIOL 1200/1201, CHEM 1160/1161, GEOL 1500/1501, PHYS, 1260/1261, MATH 2121/2122 or 2171, SCIE 3350/3351, SCIE 3360/3361, SCIE 3602, SCIE 3604, SCIE 3323, SCIE 2123


Biology: 26 semester hours

BIOL 2100/2101, BIOL 2110/2111, BIOL 2130/2131, BIOL 2250/2251, BIOL 2300, BIOL 3520, BIOL 4050/4051


Chemistry: 24 semester hours

CHEM 2301, CHEM 2250/2225, CHEM 2750/2753, CHEM 2760/2763, CHEM 3301, CHEM 3450/3451, CHEM 3850/3851


Earth Science: 22 semester hours

GEOL 1550, GEOL 1600, GEOL 1700, GEOL 3050/3051, GEOL 3200, GEOL 3300


Physics: 23 semester hours

PHYS  2350, PHYS 2360, PHYS 4120, PHYS 4310, PHYS 4326, PHYS 4416, PHYS 4417


Advising Guide

Course Rotation

Application Requirements

The BS in Science Education is administered by the Department of Mathematics, Science, and Instructional Technology Education (MSITE). All students will have an academic advisor in the department.  Additionally, you may contact MSITE's Director of Student Services with any questions or concerns.  Dr. Ron Preston will be happy to assist ( or 252-328-9355).


What are the requirements for beginning the BS Science Education program?

There are no special requirements to begin taking classes in the BS in Science Education program. However, there are requirements to get into Upper Division of the program, which allows one to take senior-level courses, do the internship, etc. These include a GPA ≥ 2.5, successful completion of an early experiences class, a passing Praxis I test score, and satisfaction of a technology competency.

What are my chances for employment once I graduate?

Your employment outlook is excellent! For the past several years, the second hardest teaching position for principals to fill has been high school science teacher.

I may be interested in earning a minor or studying abroad in addition to preparing to become a science teacher. Are there opportunities to do that?

We have students who earn a double major or dual degree, earn a minor, study abroad, play a varsity sport, etc. The earlier a student begins planning for any of these additions to the BS in Science Education, the more likely it can be achieved within the four-year program. The most common addition for our students is the double major – more than half of our students earn a second major (typically in one of the sciences) in addition to science education.

Is it possible for me to graduate in three years?

It is possible, although not many are able to do so. The most likely scenarios are for an incoming student to have several AP credits or dual enrollment community college credits. It is also possible to graduate in three years by taking summer courses. The most common possibility is a combination of incoming credit and summer classes.

Is it possible for me to graduate in two years after transferring from a community college?

Yes – if you have taken the 2 + 2 community college/ECU plan for the BS in Science Education. If you have not, summer work in addition to two years may allow you to graduate in a timely fashion. The key to graduating in two additional years is to have successfully completed introductory courses in biology, chemistry, and physics.

If I successfully complete AP Biology or Chemistry (or other AP science courses), will I be able to use the courses at ECU and in the BS Science Education program?

Yes! A 3, 4, or 5 on the AP Biology exam gives you credit for BIOL 1100/1101 and 1200/1201 (8 hours), all of which are required for the science education program. A 3 on the AP Chemistry exam gives you credit for CHEM 1150/1151 (4 hours). A 4 or 5 on the AP Chemistry exam gives credit for CHEM 1150/1151 and 1160/1161 (8 hours). All eight of the CHEM hours are required for chemistry, earth science, and physics concentrators and may be used for biology concentrators. Students earning a 4 or 5 on the AP Environmental exam earn ECU elective credits. The program has the option to use this course in place of a SCIE required course. Students earning a 3 or better on AP Physics B or C exams can earn credit – if Physics B, credit is earned for PHYS 1250/1251 and PHYS 1260/1261 (both required for biology, chemistry, and earth science concentrators – physics concentrators take calculus-based introductory physics). The two Physics C exams give credit for PHYS 1250/1251 or 1260/1261, when students score a 3 or better. If you have AP Calculus credit (score of 3 or better), check with your advisor as you may be well positioned to bypass some stated MATH requirements.

I see that BS Science Education students are licensed to teach all high school science classes, but do concentrate in one area of science. I am not sure which area to choose. How early must I decide on a concentration?

Because all BS Science Education students take course work in biology, chemistry, geology, and physics, students can usually wait until the second semester of their sophomore year to decide or perhaps as late as the first semester of their junior year.

Are there opportunities for scholarships at ECU?

There are a number of scholarship opportunities and they exist at the department, college, state, and national levels. Most of the ones from the College of Education at ECU require you to have established yourself as an excellent university student, but there are a few for incoming freshmen. Several of the most lucrative scholarships are really loan forgiveness programs – one teaches to repay the funds received.

I am not sure if I want to teach high school or middle grades science. What should I do?

Starting with the BS in Science Education (high school) instead of the middle grades program allows more flexibility. The courses from the high school program substitute for the ones in the middle grades program, but not necessarily vice-versa. Ideally, you would make your final decision about which program to pursue during the first semester of your second year.

Do you have any further questions or need help with the process? Please contact us.

Dr. Ron Preston
Director of Students Department of Mathematics, Science, and Instructional Technology Education
East Carolina University Mail Stop 566 Greenville, NC 27858 Phone:252-328-9355