Science Education

Contact Us

Dr. Ron Preston
MSITE Director of Students
352E Flanagan Building

Middle Grades Education - Science Concentration

middle school scienceWith a Bachelor of Science in our nationally award-winning Middle Grades Education program, future educators will be preparing for an exciting career. Our academic concentration in Science will provide you with the skills to teach young adolescents the tools they need to be successful in high school and to become 21st  century leaders.

Program Details

Application Requirements

The Science Education Concentrations are administered by the Department of Mathematics, Science, and Instructional Technology Education (MSITE). Although students who use the concentrations are advised in other departments, MSITE is ready to assist students with questions about the concentrations ( or 252-328-9355).

Apply Now

 You are almost finished with your Concentration in Middle Grades Education! Please check-in with your advisor in your program area to make sure that you have everything that you need in order to graduate.

When should I start taking my science concentration classes?
  • Given there are seven science courses in the concentration and there are seven semesters that most teaching majors have for coursework (the eighth semester is the full-time internship), it is best to begin the first semester at ECU. Since two Foundations Curriculum courses may be used in the concentration and you are likely to take an FC class your first semester, beginning early should not be a problem. Ideally, a science concentrator might take one science course every semester, but it is likely that there will be a semester when you need to take two science courses.
If I choose the science concentration, may I choose from any of the other three concentrations for my other concentration?
  • Yes. Although some principals and other hiring officials like science/mathematics and social studies/language arts pairings, BS Middle Grades majors may choose any two concentrations out of the four possibilities.
I have AP Biology credit – may I use it in the concentration?
  • Yes! Although the concentration lists BIOL 1050 as the biology course in the concentration, the AP Biology credit (BIOL 1100/1101 and 1200/1201) may be used to meet this requirement. Furthermore, AP Chemistry credit (CHEM 1150/1151) may be used in place of CHEM 1020 and AP Physics credit (PHYS 1250/1251) actually gives the required physics credit.
I have heard that middle grades science concentrators can add high school science to their license. How may I do that?
  • The key to adding license is to take the relevant licensure exam (the Praxis II test for comprehensive high school science). Now you may want to speak with an advisor to see if she/he suggests taking an additional science course or two that would help prepare you for the test.
How difficult is it to schedule the middle grades science concentration courses?
  • Because some of the middle grades science concentration courses are very specialized for teachers (that is, the three courses with the SCIE prefix), there is just one section of each course offered per year. So the upside is that the course are designed for teachers and the downside is that it takes more careful planning to complete the concentration that some others. However, we post when we offer courses well in advance and we have substitutions for some courses and that provides more flexibility.