Title II NC Institution Level Survey


East Carolina University, as a public doctoral degree granting institution, is committed to rich undergraduate and graduate education, exemplary teaching, research and scholarship, public service, and partnerships with public schools, community colleges and other agencies. The university is the third largest in the North Carolina System and offers 106 bachelor's degree programs, 71 master's degree programs, 4 specialist degree programs, 1 first-professional MD program, and 16 doctoral programs in our professional colleges and schools, the Thomas Harriot College of Arts and Sciences, and the Brody School of Medicine. 

It confers more than 4,300 degrees annually and has a faculty numbering 1,400+. The campus, which plans to increase enrollment by as much as 50 percent this decade, is in the midst of a major building boom. ECU is located in the coastal region of the state in Greenville, a rapidly expanding town of over 65,000 serving a large rural area. A reflection of the region's economic situation is that approximately 65% of the public school students qualify for either reduced or free lunches. Of the 23,000+ students enrolled at the university, 80% are white non-Hispanics, and the remaining 20% are minorities. 

Professional education ratios are 18% minority and 82% white non-Hispanic. Professional education programs at ECU are housed in the College of Education and 4 other professional schools. ECU has the largest professional education program in the state and offers undergraduate programs and advanced degrees, one of which is at the doctoral level. All programs are fully accredited by NCATE and the North Carolina State Board of Education, and many of the programs are also accredited by their learned societies. With a mission of teaching, research, and service,East Carolina University is a dynamic institution connecting people and ideas, finding solutions to problems, and seeking the challenges of the future.

Contextual Information:

2.) Number of students enrolled in teacher preparation programs: 1742
3.) Total # of regular and alternative students in programs of supervised student teaching: 513
4.) Supervising faculty includes all persons having faculty status, who were assigned to provide supervision/evaluation of student teaching. Complete the following questions as accurately as possible:
4a) Total # of full-time faculty in professional education that supervise student teachers: 38
4b) Total # of part-time faculty, employed full-time by IHE, that supervise student teachers: 26
4c) Total # of part-time faculty, not otherwise employed by IHE, that supervise student teachers: 36
4d) Total # of supervising faculty for the teacher preparation program: 100
4e) Student to faculty ratio (divide 3b by 4d; may use a decimal): 5.13
5a) Average # of hours per week required of student participation in supervised teaching: 38
5b) Total # of required weeks of supervised student teaching 15 5c) Total # of hours required: 570
6.) Is the program approved/accredited by the state?: Yes
7.) Is your teacher preparation program currently under designation as low-performing by the state?: No

Assessment Pass-Rate Data: Regular Teacher Preparation Program (2005-06 Cohort)


# Test Takers

# Test Passers


State Pass-Rate

Basic Skills:






Specialty Area:

Elementary Education





Special Education - AC





Special Education - GC





Specialty Summary





Upcoming Events

More Events