Apply to the STEPP Program
Please note: This application is for students who are interested in entering East Carolina University through the STEPP Program. Students interested in general ECU application information, programs, and resources should visit the website of ECU's Undergraduate Admissions office.
Applications for the 2018 Cohort
Note: Each year, we test out the application forms before posting them, but please let us know if you encounter any glitches or errors in the form itself so we can get them fixed. Thanks!
Application Deadline: The application deadline for the 2018 cohort of the STEPP Program is May 15, 2017. Please note that this is a postmark deadline; all materials that are postmarked by May 15th will be considered on time, even if they do not physically arrive at our office until after that date. Emailed materials with a timestamp up to 11:59 PM on May 15th will also be considered on time.
We strongly recommend reading the Frequently Asked Questions and our helpful tips for STEPP Program applicants before starting your application.
To determine which version of the STEPP Program application you should use, please find the category that best describes you below:
- If you are currently a high school junior, and your anticipated high school graduation date is in 2018 - complete the Freshman Application.
- If you are currently a high school senior, and your anticipated high school graduation date is in 2017 - complete the Freshman Application PLUS the following 1 item:
* In addition, please address the following prompt in your essay/writing sample: Describe your plans/goals for the "gap year" between your high school graduation and your intended entry date at ECU.
- If you graduated from high school within the past year and have not attended any other college or university - complete the Freshman Application PLUS the following 2 items:
* In addition, please address the following prompt in your essay/writing sample: Describe your activities (e.g., employment, volunteering, traveling, etc.) since leaving school and your plans/goals for the upcoming year before your entry date at ECU.
* In addition, if you have been employed since leaving school, please submit a letter of reference from at least one individual who has supervised your work during that time.
- If you are currently attending another college or university - complete the Transfer Application.
- If you have recently (within the past 2 years) attended another college or university but are no longer enrolled - complete the Transfer Application.
- If your situation is not covered by any of these categories, please contact us to find out which application materials to submit.
Applications for the 2017 Cohort
The application deadline for the 2017 cohort of the STEPP Program was May 16, 2016. During the summer of 2016, we selected the 2017 cohort and established a waiting list. That waiting list will expire on May 1, 2017, at which time the cohort will be finalized. At that point, we will no longer be able to make any changes to the cohort roster.
Interested students may still submit a late application for the 2017 waiting list between now and May 1st, but are strongly encouraged to consider applying for the 2018 cohort instead and to actively pursue other options for the 2017-2018 school year. To be considered for the 2017 cohort waiting list, please submit a complete application packet using the 2018 application materials and include a note requesting consideration for 2017 as well.
Applications for Other Cohorts
Students who intend to apply for the future cohorts are encouraged to begin preparing now:
- Register to take the SAT and/or ACT before April of your junior year of high school to ensure that you will have scores available by the application deadline. If you are requesting an accommodated test session, we highly recommend submitting your request to the testing service as early as possible.
- Review your most recent psychoeducational evaluation report to ensure it meets ECU's criteria for documentation of a specific learning disability. (You can view the criteria on the DSS website.) Arrange for updated testing if needed.
- Learn more about ECU and the STEPP Program. Visiting the campus may help you decide whether applying to the STEPP Program is the right choice for you. You can attend an Open House (see upcoming Open House dates here) or a STEPP Information Session (see upcoming sessions here). If you can't make it to campus, explore the ECU and STEPP Program websites and call or email us with any questions.
- Work toward meeting all of ECU's minimum admission requirements. Although the STEPP Program has some flexibility in our alternate admissions criteria, students who fall short of those requirements in multiple areas or who are significantly below standards in a requirement are generally less competitive candidates.
- Start thinking about whom you will ask for teacher recommendations. You need two recommendations from core academic teachers (math, science, English, foreign language, social studies). You can also send in extra recommendations from other teachers, as well as coaches, employers, tutors, etc.
Please contact Emily Johnson if you have any questions about the application process.