2002 Winner: Christa McAuliffe Award for
Excellence in Teacher Education
The Walter and Daisy Carson Latham Clinical Schools Network is a partnership between East Carolina University and 36 public school systems in eastern North Carolina. The school systems include: Beaufort, Bertie, Camden, Carteret, Clinton City, Craven, Cumberland, Dare, Duplin, Edenton-Chowan, Edgecombe, Franklin, Gates, Granville, Greene, Halifax, Harnett, Hertford, Hyde, Johnston, Jones, Lenoir, Martin, Nash/Rocky Mount, Northampton, Onslow, Pamlico, Pitt, Roanoke Rapids, Sampson, Tyrrell, Vance, Washington, Weldon City, Wayne and Wilson. Within the network, there are approximately 564 schools with over 22,500 teachers who participate in partnership efforts. The network has been in existence since the 1996-1997 academic year, when all teacher education programs were restructured from a 10-week student teaching requirement to a year-long Senior Year Experience.
What are the key functions of the Latham Clinical Schools Network?
What are the benefits of the Latham Clinical Schools Network?
- Collaborative power of 36 public school systems and the largest teacher preparation institution in the State of North Carolina
- Quality field placements for pre-service teachers with trained clinical teachers in diverse public school settings
- A shared responsibility for the recruitment, induction, retention, and renewal of teachers in eastern North Carolina
- Authentic clinical experiences in which university faculty, public school faculty, teacher education candidates and public school students can interact
Latham Clinical Schools Network Distinguishing Features
- Over 700 Senior Year Experience interns placed within the Network
- Over 2500 undergraduate practicum students placed within the Network
- "Latham Awards for Excellence in Teaching" Medals and $1500.00 cash awards given to four graduating teacher education seniors
- Clinical Schools Network Training Sessions for faculty and clinical teachers
- Clinical Teacher Conference for clinical teachers and university faculty annually
- Professional Development Sessions for clinical teachers and faculty on a variety of topics
The Walter and Daisy Carson Latham Clinical Schools Network
East Carolina University
110 Speight Building
Greenville, NC 27858