Financial Aid Information

Student Financial Aid
2103 Old Cafeteria Complex
(252) 737-6610 or (252) 328-6610

Student Financial Aid maintains a very informative website. Students who receive financial aid should become familiar with all information listed on this site and must read all emails from financial aid in a timely manner. Any questions regarding financial aid may be directed to a student's financial aid counselor.

Things to be familiar with:

  • Award terms and conditions.
    • All students who wish to receive financial aid must submit a FAFSA for every academic year. In addition, students who wish to receive summer aid must also complete an summer financial aid application (see "Applying for Aid" -> "Summer Process" for the applicable academic year).
  • The federally mandated Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy that all ECU students must adhere to in order to continue receiving financial aid.
    • Essentially a student may lose his/her financial aid if one of the following occurs: the student has an overall GPA below a 2.0, the student earned less than 80% of his/her attempted credits, or the student takes longer than the policy's maximum time frame allows him/her to complete his/her degree. A student will be placed on probation prior to being suspended from their financial aid. And if suspended, students may submit an appeal to get their financial aid back.
  • The SAP appeal process.
    • Students are notified of their SAP status. They will be placed on probation prior to suspension, so students should have an idea whether or not they will need to take part in the SAP appeal process. Once a student has been notified of financial aid suspension, he/she will need to download and print the “Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form” for the academic year he/she wishes to receive financial aid (see "Applying for Aid" -> "Forms & Publications" for the applicable academic year). Students will need to carefully read directions and make sure to be thoughtful when writing their explanations as they complete this form. Also PLEASE NOTE that this form must be submitted within 10 days of being notified your financial aid has been suspended in order to be considered.
  • A Buckley Form must be submitted and active if a student wishes a third party, like his/her parents, to have access to his/her financial records.
  • The Student Financial Aid Office is different from the Cashier's office.
    • The Cashier's office is where a student will find information about tuition fees/costs, ECU's eBilling system, refund policies and other student account related information. See here for more information (make sure to scroll down the page for important links).

Scholarship Information

Scholarships are not easy to come by and students are encouraged to search EARLY in the year for scholarship opportunities on their own (scholarship applications tend to be due in Jan/Feb prior to the new academic year). Office of University Scholarships would be the first stop to checking out scholarship information.

The College of Health and Human Performance and ECU do offer scholarships each year that students may apply for. Please note that these scholarships are very competitive and most of the HHP scholarships are contingent upon a student being declared in his/her major. ECU's Office of International Affairs also offers scholarships exclusive to education abroad. To view scholarship opportunities that are not sponsored by ECU, students will need to do a personal search using one of the resources below. Students may research various scholarships under a variety of categories, including general, merit, need based, race, gender, future career field/area of study, and student classification (FR, SO, etc.).

Some good websites to do these personal scholarship searches are: